I purchased a Coleman SeaPine PopUp and there are 3 cut wires

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by DaveCamper, Oct 20, 2017.

1. DaveCamper

DaveCamper New Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I'm new here and new to pop up trailers, I purchased a used 1999 Coleman SeaPine pop up trailer and its in nice condition, everything works expect the battery.
    Someone had cut the wires and I wanted to know if anyone can help me figure out what they are?
    I'm thinking they go to the battery but there are 3 cut wires, a blue, white and a black.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      37.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      36.9 KB
      Views:
  2. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Generally, black is battery positive, white is battery negative (ground) and blue goes to the brakes.
    are these wires at the tongue?

3. DaveCamper

DaveCamper New Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Hello,
    Yes they are, the wires that go to the plug are appear to be sealed by a wire loom. All the lights work on the trailer, (brake lights, parking, etc).

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I have an 04 Coleman/Fleetwood. Black is positive, white ground, and blue breaks. If you had a break-a-way switch installed (highly suggested to get if you don't have one). Unless the previous owner screwed with the wires I would think will be the same on yours. On my camper I had a battery harness that clipped the battery wires to the camper. However if there was a short on the harness as it did with mine, perhaps they decided to forgo using the harness to do a hardwire to the battery directly. The white thing in the picture is the battery harness I was talking about. That little clip thing shorted on me so if I wasn't able to find a new battery harness I would just cut that off and extend the wires to the battery. I would first try and trace your wires to verify that they weren't messed with. IMG_20160416_143722684_HDR.jpg

5. DaveCamper

DaveCamper New Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Oh man, that's great. I really appreciate the advise and the picture, I'll let you know how it turns out.

6. Novarich

Novarich Member

Dec 8, 2014
    As jmkay1 said, electric brake wiring. The wiring is usually there as an option even if the camper isn't equipped with them. The other ends will usually be tucked up by the frame on the left side of the camper above the axle.

7. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Stillwater, MN
    Yep, as others have said. That is for the battery connection. Coleman sent all of their campers out the door battery ready. All you had to do was buy their harness and mount the battery (their tray helped). So a real plug and play. Of course, your previous owner didn't buy the harness and just cut the wires. That works, but you lose the easy disconnect of the original plug. And the current black wire, doesn't have any short protection. The original harness from Coleman (and replacements from me) have a built in self resetting circuit breaker. This is like a fuse, but does not have to be replaced if there is ever a short or overload. You may want to add one in your positive (black) line.
    http://www.campersolutions.com/home/battery-connection
    [​IMG]

Repair harness if you want to go back to factory.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.campersolutions.com/store/

One reason for the plug is to be able to disconnect your battery. This is good for storage. Your LP detector is always on and will drain your battery over a few weeks if left plugged in. I also usually will unplug my battery when I leave my site just to know that everything is turned off. But that is to make the battery last as long as possible.

Self resetting circuit breaker.
    [​IMG]
    Replacement plug
    [​IMG]