Idaho camping near Yellowstone

Discussion in 'Idaho' started by oppencd, Mar 3, 2017.

1. oppencd

oppencd New Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Hi,

I had seen a posting, that I can't seem to find again, that was talking about good places to camp near Yellowstone on the Idaho side.

I'd would prefer to camp in a state or National Park campgrounds, and would really appreciate any suggestions.
    I'd be looking for a 30' site for us and our popup [:D]

Thanks for any suggestions!!!!

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Henry's Lake State park is probably the closest campground to West Yellowstone entrance to the park. Approx. 18 miles. I have not camped there, but heard it was nice.
    https://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/parks/henrys-lake

I have camped at Buffalo campground in Island Park ID; however it is about 28 miles to the entrance. It is a big campground with about 5 loops, but very busy during the summer. It's my go-to campground for weekdays since it is quite close. Very popular with kayakers, tubers, etc. due to the location being close to the Buffalo River.

There are some a bit closer Flat Rock.
    Best to do a search on Recreation.gov for Idaho Campgrounds and look for those north of Island Park of Hwy 20

There are some private campgrounds a lot closer, but I have NO experience in any private campground. Maybe someone will jump in.

3. oppencd

oppencd New Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Thanks for the suggestions!

4. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    I have a cabin in Island Park and grew up fishing on both Henry's Lake and Island Park Reservoir. Can't say that I've ever "camped" in those areas, but I'd also look at Harriman State Park.....its beautiful.

5. Tye 1on

Tye 1on New Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Teton Canyon, just east of Driggs Idaho, is just on the other side of the Teton Range from Grand Teton National Park and is a pretty nice place to be.