I'm Back !

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by PopUpSteve, Aug 17, 2017.

1. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    You're a good man, Steve, I hope this trip turns out to be just what the doctor ordered!

2. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Good news about your recovery! This looks like an amazing trip. I'm looking forward to following your adventures! Safe travels!

3. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Wow Steve...what an exciting trip...keep us posted please.

4. SuperYooper

SuperYooper Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Upper Michigan
    I see you are traveling through the bottom of the Upper Peninsula at some point...make sure to take some time and see Fayette and/or Kitch-iti-kipi on your way to the St. Ignace. Have a pastie too!

geekgurl64 and Lloyd B like this.
  5. shelmily

shelmily Active Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Glad to hear you are in better health Steve. It's good to have you back. Looks like a great adventure. I will definitely be following along. Have a safe trip.

6. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    welcome back steve I know what this health thing is very tough as we get older. I guess you have already passed through mo. one of the top viewing states. if you get through mo and are camping let us know.

we were going to Ak this summer made it to Omaha and had to turn back then big-time back surgery. next year if God allows on to Ak with an egg camper!

good luck

bob

7. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Durham, NC
    Great to see you back Steve! Enjoy your trip!

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    IMG_6753.JPG On the Trace!

pasobuff likes this.
  9. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    Welcome back! Looks like a great trip. Don't forget to point south and wave when you hit Itasca State Park in MN. I'll wave back :)

10. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    IMG_6785.JPG
    End of day 6 at Trace SP outside of Tupelo Mississippi. Beautiful drive down the Natchez Trace today, I highly recommend the trip, specially in the fall, must be beautiful with the trees changing. I've posted some pictures of my stops today on the portal's Facebook page.

Of course the further South I go the hoter it gets. Fortunately at this campsite there's a nice breeze coming across what would be a lake but I guess the reservoir is extremely low and where I'm at it's just a green valley.

bob barnes likes this.
  11. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Hello Fellow PUPsters. I'm in South Toledo Bend SP, LA tonight, right across the lake from Texas. Very nice park with lots of space between campsites and there is actually water in the lake at this campground. Unfortunately, I hit torrential rains in the middle of Louisiana and had to pull over for about an hour to wait it out. Otherwise I could have gone kayaking tonight. Weather is nice, a little bit of a breeze but not the killer heat that you would expect, that comes tomorrow with TEXAS!

Yes, tomorrow I start my crossing of the Great Republic of Texas, two days in fact. I actually managed to plan this trip with only one night in Texas but that's with campsites just over the boarder at either end.

If anyone in AZ or NM is interested, I'll be at Lyman Lake AZ on Saturday night, Aug 26th.

Attached Files:

bob barnes likes this.
  12. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    Perphaps not, tropical storm Harvey is expected to bring lots of rain in the next three - fours days, cooler temps Sat and Sun.

13. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Hillsboro, OR
    Welcome back! Enjoy your trip!

14. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    Been wondering about your trip...thanks for the updates.

15. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Long day driving through the first half of Texas. Broke camp this morning at 6:45 AM and got to my next campsite at 6 PM.

Tonight I'm in Garner State Park, West of San Antonio.

Should be out of the way of the hurricane by tomorrow afternoon. By tomorrow night I'll be in Carlsbad NM.

Just heard from my brother who lives near by. He said we may have rain tonight and that this place floods. Hopefully the park rangers will stop by if they feel there may be an issue.

Attached Files:

tfischer and thethird152 like this.
  16. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    Awesome!!

17. Boatnman

Boatnman Active Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Welcome back and happy travels. (And THANK YOU for this great site!)

18. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Made it out of Texas and now in New Mexico. And I think, just in time. I'm glad I made reservations everywhere, people are heading inland from the Gulf Coast and starting to fill up the campgrounds.

I'm in Brantley Lake SP, just North of Carlsbad NM. Long day getting here but the vistas are beautiful.

IMG_6858.JPG IMG_6866.JPG

19. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    That looks absolutely beautiful!! Thank you for sharing your views along the way!!

20. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    STeve I hope you picked up some of that great Cajun food in Lousiania!!