Inflatable Kayak or solid?

Discussion in 'Canoeing / Kayaking, Boating, & S.C.U.B.A.' started by myride, Aug 17, 2018.

1. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

These are good inflatables. http://tseeker.com/

Until you get into this price range most of this stuff is only fit for a pool toy.
    Total flat water such as calm lakes you'd be fine with about anything. Just be prepared to patch often or replace the boat as needed.

2. penny

penny Well-Known Member

We love to kayak. We have 3 hardshell and two inflatable. our first was a pelican, I think a trailblazer is the model. Then I got a emotion fishing kayak, hoping to feel comfortable fishing out on a lake. so far, that is kind of a comedy routine to watch. we also have a perception that my husband likes best. these are pretty perfect for us, as we are recreational calm water kayakers. One inflatable is a sea eagle 330 and it is ok. We have the "deluxe" seat and it is better than the stock, but still kind of a pain. the kayak is no good on a windy day, and best for just hot days and lazy floating. The other inflatable is my very favorite. It is an advance frame sport by advanced elements. I bought the drop stitch floor, and it is every bit as fast and tracks just as well as the hardshell. It feels incredibly stable and is a cinch to toss on the floor of the car or in the storage compartment of our camper. It goes with us on every road trip and lake trip. If I had only one, that's what I'd pick. I've had people say no inflatable can equal a hardshell, but since ours are all in the recreational category, that's what I have to compare it too, and it is, in my opinion, just a good. And very quick, easy, tracks great and is light.

3. penny

penny Well-Known Member

Just a fyi, I decided to sell the sea eagle. It's perfect for floating around on a lake, or even paddling around on a lake. many cuts above a "department store" inflatable. if anyone on the portal is interested, I'd sell it much cheaper to them. hey, maybe even give it away if they come to Las Cruces, NM and pick it up.

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Yacoma99

Yacoma99 Member

We have a Sea Eagle 420x that we use. I have several kayaks and about 25 yrs paddling experience. The Sea Eagle 420x positive attributes outweigh its negatives. The positives: when deflated it can store inside our Aliner, it is comfortable, paddles ok and tracks ok, it has plenty of room for my dw, me and our stuff. The negatives: having to dry out all the nooks and crannies before you store it, the just “ok” way it paddles & tracks. The 420x would not be my first choice for an all day paddle but for a few hours at a time it is a good choice.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Mine is still going strong. We will see if it inflates this year. Lol , i say that every year. It keeps going. More then worth the price.

6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Our inflatable kayak is pretty nice, but the 19 ft kevlar canoe is a bit faster. (Put the inflatable kayak seats in the canoe and it's even comfy!)