Installing Front Stabilizers on Aliner Ranger

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by nhlakes, Nov 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    Has anyone ever installed front stabilizers on their Ranger? I have a pair of 22" BAL stabilizers and pads (just like the ones on the rear) arriving today. Not sure if they will arrive in time for me to install today (and I am then off on travel for a couple weeks starting tomorrow, so it may be awhile before I install them.)

If anyone has ever installed them and has advice, feel free to share.

2. Fbird

Fbird Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
  3. ~erik~

~erik~ Active Member

Jan 19, 2015
    North Georgia
    I installed a pair of BAL stablizers on my Ranger 12. Same ones you ordered. Easy installation mirroring the rear ones. They mount at a slight angle, with the front an inch or so lower than the rear, because of the width of the front chassis member that runs from side to side. Works fine though.

4. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    thanks - I assume they mount to the frame like the rear stabs

5. ~erik~

~erik~ Active Member

Jan 19, 2015
    North Georgia
    Yes, exactly. Other than the slight angularity they are identically mounted.

In all honesty, they didn't make a hugh difference in the stability of the Aliner, it still wiggles a bit when walking around in it. I later wondered if mounting the stabilizers so they went outward rather than front/back like the rear ones might not have helped. I don't think there is an easy way to do that though, without adding more brackets and more tonque weight.....

6. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    Thanks for the info. They arrived late yesterday, too late to install, and now I am on the road for a couple of weeks. Will check it out mount options when I return.

7. TNW

TNW New Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Vermont
    I have a Ranger 12 2014 model, I did the same, installed stabilizers on the front. It does help, we once rented a Starcraft pop-up way back in the day that had only stabilizers in the rear, and it was awful, wiggled all around with only the tongue supporting the front. It is a very easy install, you probably have already put them on by now. I think it helps.

8. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    Actually, I have not put them on yet... I travel all the time and have not had the time - maybe tomorrow!

9. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    Done. Very easy install (especially with the help of my 25yr old son ;) )

[​IMG]

10. TNW

TNW New Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Vermont
    Looks good there, here are a few of my mods to my Aliner, including the new black access door:

[​IMG]

I removed the crappy plastic bins that were in the cabinet by the door and made up actual drawers:

[​IMG]

I cut access to the storage space below the couch/bed:

[​IMG]

I moved the battery box from the tongue to the storage below the dining seat, also upgraded to a larger 100ah AGM sealed battery in preparation for a solar cell add-on:

[​IMG]

And, in that vein, I wired in a voltage monitor with USB and 12v plug:

[​IMG]

There are a few other mods I've done, these are the major ones. I bought the camper last summer and had to do quite a bit of clean-up and minor repairs, then towed it down south in August to visit a bunch of Civil War sites. Great camper.

Sotovoce likes this.
  11. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Georgia
    TNW, you've been busy. You have some nice mods.

12. TNW

TNW New Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Vermont
    Next is a solar panel. I have a 1991 Jayco pop-up still today, it's had lots of use and mods and improvements over the years. I fixed a panel to its roof some time ago and it's been very good. The old Jayco did not have circuitry to charge the camper battery when driving, so the panel did so on the road, plus at the campground. Anyway, with the Aliner's ability to charge the battery from the TV's alternator, the panel would be useful when parked for several days. Wouldn't need the solar charge while driving.
    What I'm contemplating is a suitcase panel that I would place in some sunlight at a campsite. Just working that out, it'll be a while before camping weather returns to the northeast.