Insulated Attached Garage

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by paepae805, Dec 6, 2018.

1. paepae805

paepae805 Member

Jun 5, 2018
    I am storing our PUP in one half of our 2 car attached garage. It is insulated and stays around 40 degrees +/- throughout winter(wisconsin). This is our first winter with the new PUP and want to make sure if I should do anything more than I have already. I drained all the water lines that were used including hot water heater, shower/toilet cassett, inside sink, water hookup, and outdoor shower. I used a shop vac to blow all of the lines out. I did not use the fresh water tank at all during our excursion. I didn't add any antifreeze knowing it will be in the garage all winter long. The garage doors never stay open longer than it takes to back in or out.

Any tips are appreciated. Suppose to be dry this weekend and in the 30s so if I need to do anything extra, that will be easy for me to do. Thanks!

2. mattlreese

mattlreese Member

Sep 6, 2017
    If it never goes below freezing, or if it does its never more then an hour overnight you will be fine. However what if you get a cold snap like we did in the mid Atlantic last year? I was below 20 degrees for 3 straight weeks. My attached garage went below freezing during that time.

3. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Plymouth, MI USA
    Water expands when it freezes, which causes the damage. If it has someplace to expand into, it won't cause damage. Antifreeze is largely unneeded in a pup if they do what they say you've done; people do it because they do it.

tzmartin likes this.
  4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    You never know when you may loose power for an extended period of time. I would still do a complete winterization.

xxxapache likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    You should be OK but do monitor it. Especially if you know there is going to be a massive cold spell. My father kept his popup in the garage and during times when temps stayed in the teens longer than a few days, he will put a small space heater in the garage just to help keep temps up. He's never had a problem. Now I agree if your area has a power outage you may need to revisit this question.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I would worry about not using antifreeze. Just for the pumps sake. Its cheap, and might prevent a bigger problem down the line.

7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    No insult intended, but anyone that has never lived in a far northern state (Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin) does not understand how cold, cold can get. An attached insulated garage guarantees nothing up here.

Winterize with antifreeze. No ifs, ands or buts. You live in Wisconsin. 'Nuf said.

neighbormike likes this.
  8. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Jun 18, 2013
    central Oregon
    We never use antifreeze and our a-frame lives in an unheated tarp garage in the winter.

Here's what works for us: Open sink faucets, open outside shower faucets and let shower hose hang down to drain, open water tank drain, open low point drains for hot and cold lines, open water heater drain. Go rake pine needles for a few hours until all dripping stops. Apply compressed air (compressed air attachment gizmo available from RV supply) through the domestic water hookup and cycle the water pump a few times to clear out water in the pump. Open the gray water drain (we don't have a tank) to make sure that it is empty. Disconnect the water lines from the water pump. Close all drains. Put a note on the a-frame so I remember to reconnect the water pump before filling the water tank in the spring.

9. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Still a little water in the pump. No issues ?

10. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    I follow a routine similar to Zephyr.
    No problems with pump in 4-5 winters.

11. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    As a homeowner if I lost power for "an extended period of time" the camper is the last thing I'm going to be worrying about. :wink: Each winter here in S Ontario we'll get periodic stretches of quite cold temperatures (-20C ~ -4F) and I never once in 6 years worried about our Santa Fe stored in my insulated & heated garage, never winterized, other than draining out any water in the system each fall. If I anticipated power outages such as those being suggested were going to be a common occurrence I'd invest in a genset to power the fridge & furnace in the house, the only 2 devices that really matter, and by default my insulated garage / workshop would remain at it's normal wintertime temp of ~ 65F. Wasting time worrying about a camper worth a few thou when the house is worth 200 times that is silly. [::)]

bols2Dawall likes this.
  12. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Too cheap to do it right and it's just not worth a shortcut in the northland. I'd hate to see you have summer troubles on winter problems.

BikeNFish and PopUpSteve like this.
  13. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    3 words; Move. To. Florida.

You're welcome.

14. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Aligators, humidity, st. Aug grass and snow birds...I'll pass

15. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    Trumpland? [LOL] No thanks, if we moved anywhere it'd be Downunder. [AUS] [:D]

emoney likes this.
  16. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    I have done my trailers for 30+ years just draining and blowing out. But always poured a cup or two down the drain so some antifreeze would be in the traps. All has been well except once. My trailers have many times, see below -20 degrees.

About 7 years ago, I did have the plastic pump cam plate crack, which left the pump barely able to pump water, but no leak. In looking at it more closely, I came to the conclusion: If the pump cams are on any of the three high cams point of their 360 degree travel and water was in the diaphragm. The plate could get cracked. Very small change of the pump ending in one of the three positions. I will call it 1 in 120. I now run the pump dry, and disconnect the supply hose. I hook up a hose to the supply side and suck antifreeze out of the jug. I pump less than 2 cups of antifreeze through the pump. Maybe 4 extra minutes.

A gallon of antifreeze last me about 4 years, doing the traps and pump. Very cheap insurance and almost no effort.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018 at 7:09 PM
    BikeNFish likes this.
  17. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Love to visit in the winter. Just came back from about 3 weeks camping in FL. Pensacola, Punta Gorda and 2 nights near West Palm. Very nice in the southern part during the winter But sure would not want to be there in the hot season. Its sorta like in the north you stay in heated places in the winter, and in FL you stay in AC places in the hot season. I know the times I have been in FL during the hot weather, I would work up a sweat on hot days walking out of the AC to my car in the 100% humidity and temps at 100+.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018 at 7:11 PM
    emoney likes this.
  18. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    75 degrees today...just sayin’

19. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    It’s funny, your blood thins out or something. I moved down here a smidge over 20 years ago and thought I would die that first summer. Now if it’s not 90 or close to it I’m wearing long sleeve shirts and pants lol. My family is in Ky and if I visit I’m always cold. 2 years ago on the 4th of July I went up and had to borrow a sweatshirt because it got into the 60s that night. I was acclimated to 95 and 100% humidity. The February Corporate trip to Minneapolis is my most dreaded time of year.