Irma in our area

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by nineoaks2004, Sep 11, 2017.

1. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Irma is over and it has left Fl. We did ok, only 3" of rain total, I have a few small limbs down from the wind gusts to pick up tomorrow. We only lost power for about 30 minutes. When we bought this farm, I was told that this is the best place to be in Fl. and it has proven to be just that, most bad weather usually goes around us.
    My son was not so lucky, he lives s. of Lake City in Lake Butler, they have been without power since the start and it will be several days until it is supposed to be restored, but he has a genny for power. They got 12" of rain so everything is flooded, no damage to the house but his shop is flooded. (I told him "I guess the drought is over" )
    I hope everyone who was trapped in Fl. are OK and safe.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Glad to hear you're ok. My thoughts and prayers are with those less fortunate.

3. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    It's good to hear that all is well for you. Let's all remember to keep those who are still without power and basic necessities in our thoughts and prayers. If you can help (money, supplies or a blood donation) please do. The need is great and if we don't help each other, who will?

4. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Glad you are safe. My bother and his family live in High Springs, just west of Gainesville. He pulled his camper up close to the house, away from trees. Came though fine, never lost power. My mom and several friends live just east of Tampa, they had no damage, but are still without power. One of my brothers camping friends lives in Jacksonville, he had all 4 cars and their Jayco Hybrid pretty much destroyed by a pine tree. Everyone was safe, but $$$$ property damage. I don't miss living in Florida any more.

5. megcabra

megcabra Member

Glad you made it through OK!

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I saw on the News, pictures of the keys, they are leveled for all general purposes. I was stationed in Key West naval station (closed now). I thought about moving there at one time
    but after looking at the mess now I am glad that I decided against that, I do have friends there and hopefully they are ok. My heart and prayers go out to those that have lost everything because of the 2 recent hurricanes. But thankfully very few lives were lost and personal belongings can be replaced. I know this from experience of a house fire years ago.
    Hopefully everything will get back to some sort of normalization shortly...first is power and clean up which will take awhile.

7. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Georgia
    Glad you are all ok, we have friends near Ft. Myers, they made it to Pensacola where they waited for Irma to pass. When they arrived home they were surprised they had no major damage to their home or property. I live just north of Atlanta GA and we lost power Monday afternoon and are still without power. We did have 4 trees come down but thankfully no damage to any structure or anyone. Compared to many who have lost much, we are really fortunate.