Is Eternabond tape my cure?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Tasmin, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Tasmin

Tasmin New Member

Sep 15, 2016
    I bought our PUP last year knowing I would need to rebuild the roof side panel. I successfully did that this spring by removing the rotting OSB from the skin and reapplying it to new wood and reattaching. I layered butyl tape under the trip pieces and then sealed EVERYWHERE with Dicor lap sealant.

Although it went on beautifully for most seams, it seemed to never set properly right at the ends where it stayed tacky and some got ripped off from a tarp or falling leaves, revealing the butyl under. I've kept it dry so far, but rainy season is coming again and I do not want to deal with more leaks.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

SO after scouring the site, my plan is to just apply Eternabond 4" tape the length of roof, attaching to the top of the trim piece lengthwise and the roof. I am planing on wiping it down first, especially the roof part, but just applying directly over the dicor/butyl line in the middle. I really dont want to be cringing the entire next camping trip when it starts to lightly rain.

I dont think I need Grizzly grip over the whole shebang because the rest of the roof is fine, its just this seam I'm worried about on top.

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    If applying Dicor vertically, make sure to purchase the non-self leveling brand. I actually prefer ProFlex for vertical. As for the eternabond, if the dicor is coming off, the eternabond will come off with the dicor. I have applied eternabond over dicor (and Proflex) however, it was a small amount of the sealant that allowed at least 1.5 inches or more of the eternabone to actually attach and adhere to the trailers roof on both sides of the enternabond tape.

I basically cleaned the roof with soap and water, then some simple green with a final wipe down with alcohol (not scotch). I did a 4x4 patch about three years ago to patch a one inch hole caused by a tree limb. I put proflex in the hole and a 4x4 patch of eternabond over and it has lasted all these years.

Been wondering about Flex tape that Phil Swift sells.

3. loveit

loveit Member

May 12, 2011
    Where can and what is proflex? I have holes along the edge caused by canopy screws pulling through. My roof is aluminum