Is it a Hybrid or dark side

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by emoney, Aug 29, 2018.

1. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Doing some “move up shopping” and came across this;

https://www.generalrv.com/product/new-2018-jayco-jay-feather-x213-817103-4

So tell me, is this a Hybrid or is it the “Dark Side”?

2. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    No canvas = dark. ;) The 'expandable' term is just a bed that's a slide out.

And remember 'moving up' is simply what works better for you and yours right now. Our needs change over time. Some day an improvement may be a simplification.

IMO there's no hierarchy of campers styles. If something works better for you and yours and it easily fits in your budget, go for it.

Not suggesting this is you, but I hate seeing young couples taking on big loans for toys just to 'move up' some perceived hierarchy.

Orchid likes this.
  3. mattlreese

mattlreese Member

Sep 6, 2017
    When I upgrade it will be to a triple bunk expandable. Its the only floorplan that can fit 2 adults and 3 kids, without using the table, and is not absurdly huge or heavy.

4. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Yeah the “moving up” part in my world always translates as “size and/or money”. One can “move up” in pups, the way I see it.
    And the only people consider me young anymore are my 80 year old patients. The grandkids think I’m as old as dirt I’m afraid.
    One of the slide out bed models, which is currently only offered by Jayco Jayfeather line it seems, is about the absolute max I want to tow. As it is that 4500 lbs is worrying me, but everything tends to so what’s different I spose. I do like the extra room, and while it’s not truly relevant, I’m not a fan of payments myself. Just need to find an older version that’s all.

5. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    We consider it moving up because it works better for us and gets us out more. We have a 3 bunk hybrid. I don't consider it the dark side but man the hybrid is way darker inside than the pup was so it's at least the kind-of dark side.

hayyward likes this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    When we moved up from a 10 foot popup to a 8 ft wide hybrid with a bath we are now in heaven. I first looked at A-liners .... but wanted the bunks out of the living area ...... then an R-rod narrow as our popup but a slide to worry about.

emoney likes this.
  7. bikendan

bikendan Member

Feb 26, 2012
    The 213 is Dark Side, no canvas.
    All it is is a regular TT with the bed slideout at the rear, instead of on the side, like most RVs.
    Have no idea why they consider the 213 an "expandable". If that's an expandable, then any RV with a slideout, is an expandable.

8. Athomeinthpines

Athomeinthpines New Member

Tuesday
    Madison, Alabama
    We were in the same boat. Nice popups were in the same weight and price range as our used hybrid. While the black and grey tanks are small on our trailer, its nice when you have full hookups. Our dry weight is below 3000 pounds, fully loaded 3500. The foldouts allow us to sleep the entire family, but we can still close the bunks and be secure. We didnt see the advantage of a fully enclosed travel trailer that was only 3 feet longer but weighed more and would be harder to park. We also wanted to stay comfortable in the tow range of our Toyota Tacoma, which is 6500 pounds. I really wouldnt want to pull more than 4000 with our tow vehicle.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    That there would be a Travel Trailer, or TT and that would be the darkside.. Aside from a few changes the layout is exactly the same as my Outback 21RS..

10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
  11. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    What’s kinda funny was this is the layout I ended up finding. See, I told you I was a fan

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I thought you were buying another one untill i saw the date........