Is it common to need a long extension?

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by TrailerMomma, Aug 23, 2017.

1. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Wow. We only camp with hook-ups <50% of the time, but the longest cord we've ever needed was about 15 feet. I've never used the extension that came with the camper.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    PointyCamper likes this.
  3. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    At my last campsite I ran my 30', 25', and 50' and just had enough. It was crazy had far the electrical post was.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Not sure which park it was either Mac or one of the Algonquin parks but I used everything I had, including running the cord under the trailer and straight across the site just to reach.. If we would have parked a foot further to the road side I would have had to gone and bought another cord..

5. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    If you are religiously needing that much cable, then the CG likely has lenient generator rules. Might be worth investing in either solar or a genset.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Nope.. Gensets ok between hours of something like 930 am until 6pm with a quiet time from 1pm til 3 pm.. I would have to look them up again..

Beside I can buy a whole bunch of extensions for the cost of a genset..

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

wha? I do not even have an extension for 30 amps. Never needed it and never wished for it either. (knock on wood). Now it may be spud on my part at next new campground I never been to. Don't think I am going to Canada anytime soon.

8. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    Long extensions usually mean large sites

Strawhouse likes this.
  9. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Member

Nov 25, 2015
    HAHAHA HAHA. That would be a sight!
    And I can add a dog crate.

Strawhouse likes this.
  10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I keep one in my equipment box but really only needed it once,at Oleno State Park long narrow campsites water was at one end and elec. at the other. I also carry extra an water hose, however if it is needed, then I have it. I also have a 25 ft. 15 amp cord with a 4 way outside type box on the end of it, I use this almost every trip, I run it under the trailer and use it outside for cooking, the portable ice maker , over , or whatever else I need to plug in outside under the awning.

11. J Starsky

J Starsky Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I bring a 10 ft and 100ft cord. I did have to brake out the 100ft, as my powerbox had a bad breaker in it. Muni campgrounds, so no fooling they where out 1 hour after reporting it. Could not believe it was that quick.

12. Halford

If I was staying at a LARGE site, I just park near power source.

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Hard to do when the power post can be 75ft into the bush like many of our Provincial Parks..

Strawhouse likes this.
  14. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

That seems kind of silly.

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Thats how some of our parks are ..

16. Halford

That is probably one reason why I don't camp in Canada.

17. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    I hope that you won't let the discussion on this thread deter you--and others--from camping in Canada. TrailerMomma, who started this thread, was simply inquiring about the length of power cords needed in Ontario Provincial Parks.

Both Snow and I--who are both avid and long-time campers from Ontario--were simply trying to answer her question, so that she might be prepared and make the best reservation choices for her and her family. Our responses were based our personal experiences and from information available on the Ontario Parks website.

Yes, there are instances where long extension cords are needed; however, there are a vast number sites that do not require these, and campers can simply book those sites that best suit their electrical needs.

Of course, each province and each park has its own unique qualities, characteristics, and challenges. I do hope that you have the opportunity to experience them in your future camping adventures!

Redbird934 and Snow like this.
  18. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Always good to have extra feet. One year it seem 3 out of 4 CS's we came up short. It was nice having extra cord. Some of them it was just a few feet and some we had to run the cord and extra cords in the shortest path or we would not have had enough.

19. Winchested

Winchested Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Unless you're running A/C and or an electric heater or electric water heater you don't really need 30A at all. I only carry a 25' extension and a 100' 15A cord. Only time I had the 15A trip was when I tried to keep our electric oil heater plugged in and run the fridge.

But if you're the type that has to have A/C you better bring lots of extensions for 30A.