Is rv TP necessary?

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by Milemaker13, May 6, 2019.

1. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Member

Is it necessary to use the special RV toilet paper in a porta potty?
    I plan to buy camco TST max chemical solution (it comes in cute little 8 oz bottles that should be convenient for the 5 gal portapotty).

2. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Active Member

I would typically say yes but honestly when we went camping last month I used the RV TP and the same chem packs I've always used and the TP didnt dissolve like it normally would. It was weird. I opened new packs of each so not sure which product was defective.

Milemaker13 likes this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Some say RV TP is a rip-off, that any septic-safe TP will work. The test is to put a couple of sheets in water and see if it dissolves well.
    That said, we'd rather be safe than sorry, and we do use RV TP with the flush toilet in our TT.

[We have developed a routine to eke out more time on a 10 gallon black tank, since we often camp for 5-8 nights in one site, so we actually use regular and RV TP. Only poo-ed paper gets flushed, and that's the RV TP. Otherwise, it's standard home TP, tossed in a trash can. ]

J Starsky and Milemaker13 like this.
  4. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Member

What chemical do you use? Do you think the camco TST max is good? Honestly its the convenience of small 8 oz bottles that I'm sold on. But this stuff actually costs much less than say aqua chem or many other brands/colors/types.
    I think tossing a pre pack (good for 40 gallons) is just too much for my little 5 gal porta potty. Am I thinking too much and should just get toss in paks??

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I use and have always used RV TP. They do make chemicals especially for port -a-pottys. And as stated better safe than sorry. If the TP does not dissolve it can be really hard to clean it out. We spend good hard earned money on other items without flinching so why scrimp on TP and chemicals which the price is minimal

Rusty2192, kitphantom and Milemaker13 like this.
  6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Depends on whether or not you plan to wipe! [CC]

eoleson1 and Snow like this.
  7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@Milemaker13
    Yes, those little packs do seem a waste on the smaller tanks. Even with our 10 gallon tank, most are overkill. We got a small package of one brand with the trailer, but the strong odor of the product itself was an issue.
    Since we only dump every 5-8 nights, we use a product called Odorlos. I don't know if it works in the portapotties or cassettes.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Here is one opinion on RV TP..

Here is another ..

And I know it will come up in a bit .. Ice cubes in the tank...

Toedtoes likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I just use the reguler scotts in theford. No problems yet. I do make sure that people know to conserve a bit.

Orchid and Toedtoes like this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I did my own testing and found my own home toilet paper desolved quicker than even the scratchy RV toilet paper my parents bought for their own camper. If I remember correctly I used Scott's. I've also used Angel Soft with success. So in answer, it's not necessary, but do verify before hand .

11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

No need. Most any brand is fine. People use Charmin, Angel Soft, Kirkland, Sotts, etc., without problems.

I switch between Angel Soft and Kirkland in my toilet with black tank in the clipper and my cassette toilet in the FoldnRoll wuth no problems.

The only brand I personally question is Northern. It doesn't dissolve as quickly as the others and I've had it catch on tree roots in my home system and cause blockage. Normally an RV toilet/tank doesn't have issues with paper catching on things, but with a black tank, it could potentially catch on the sewer valves. So I stay away from Northern.

As for chemicals, they are not necessary. Some people swear by them, but making sure a small amount of water is in the bowl after flushing will keep the seal intact and prevent smells from escaping. And your deposits are not in the tank/cassette long enough to worry about decomposition like in a septic tank.

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

No need. We use Scott at home and in the camper. Most of the tp dissolves, but if not, it just dumps out the spout anyway. If, for some reason, it clogs the spout (never happened to us) just spray the hose at the dump station into the tank. You're going to rinse it out anyway, so nothing different.

Toedtoes and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

No RV paper, No chemicals in the holding tank, No problems, ever...

Toedtoes likes this.
  14. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

We use the chemicals when we remember them and it's not a nightmare when we forget. We use regular household TP but we buy kinda cheap TP. I could see how some of the more luxurious brands could cause issues due to bulk if nothing else.

15. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Never used RV TP. We use the same septic safe stuff that we use at home. I only use chemicals if we are gonna be holding the black tank more than 3 or 4 days. Otherwise, I just put in a big squirt of dish soap when I put the first few gallons of water in.

16. joet

joet Well-Known Member

The chemicals are just for odor control. A small pack or bottle is too much for a small holding tank. No longer than stuff is in the tank there won't be any decomposition. Paper can clog the dump lines

kcsa75 likes this.
  17. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Member

Thanks for all the replys! Much appreciated:)

18. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

We use Scotts.