Is transmission cooler needed for 2012 Odyssey pulling a Jayco Qwest 8?

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by ircommando, Jan 10, 2018.

1. ircommando

ircommando New Member

Jan 8, 2018
    We just got a Jayco Qwest 8 PUP, and I am getting my 2012 Honda Odyssey ready to perform the towing duties. Is an aftermarket fluid cooler needed for the transmission? Below are weight specs for the 2003 Qwest, that I assume is pretty close to 1999 specs (Is this a good assumption?)
    upload_2018-1-10_10-7-52.png

2. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    IMO, a transmission cooler is always a good idea, YMMV

jnc and Byrd_Huntr like this.
  3. myride

myride Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Depending on where your planning on towing (mountains / flats et.) if your Honda
    doesn't have a tranny cooler you should install one. Over-kill as far as keeping that
    tranny fluid cool is better than the alternative. It's an inexpensive item that does help.

ircommando likes this.
  4. ircommando

ircommando New Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Thanks. Any advice on what cooler to go with? Is the install pretty easy? Or would you recommend having a real mechanic do it? I am pretty handy with house stuff, but cars is a new world to me.

5. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Etrailer.com has many choices for you to look at. There are install videos as well. Get a class 2 cooler and you'll be fine.

ircommando likes this.
  6. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I always recommend and have used Stacked Plate coolers. However, these are the best for cooling and I was using them on Corvettes (with engine mods), off-road vehicles that I drove in the desert areas and up and down a heck of a lot of mountains in the western states. So a stacked plate might be an overkill, but in my humble opinion, an overkill is usually better than an underkill (if there is such as thing:D). I have always used B&M coolers too, but that is a personal preference.
    Amazon and Summit racing are good places for coolers....
    Here's a decent article on coolers...
    http://transmissionrepairguy.com/transmission-cooler/

The actual installation of the cooler is not hard, the hard part can be getting to the location where you are going to install the cooler since it usually requires the removal of the front grille and that can be difficult or hard depending on vehicle.

ircommando likes this.
  7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I just saw that the Gross Weight is 1875. That is the max weight ignore the unload, dry weight information.

Your TV should be able to tow it without any problems. Tranny Cooler is a good additional as I added to my previous TV. Does your TV come with tow package?

8. ircommando

ircommando New Member

Jan 8, 2018
    No tow package. I would be putting it all in myself.

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Make sure to get bigger radiator as well.

10. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Congrats on the camper!

We tow a 2002 Jayco Qwest 10 with a 2012 Dodge Caravan. No tranny cooler. We tow around flat, flat Illinois and usually not more than 2-3 hours. Haven't had any issues so far. Of course, yes overkill would be better.

One thing you might consider is beefing up your rear suspension. When we hooked up our camper, it really dropped the back end of the van low. My DH added these airbags inside the rear springs. You pump them up with a bicycle pump to make the suspension stiffer. Works great! They make fancier ones that have a pump you mount and run wiring to the engine and then just push a button to inflate. We just opted to keep it simple.

ircommando likes this.
  11. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    The added transmission cooler will give you a better margin to protect your transmission. Just in case you haven't considered this, make sure the pup has brakes and you have a brake controller. This is a safety issue for your car and your family (as well as others on the road). This is of greater priority than the transmission cooler.

PointyCamper likes this.
  12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

What is the Odyssey's towing capacity? If it's 3500 pounds I wouldn't think you would need one.

13. p

p Active Member

Jun 9, 2014

Your 2012 caravan has a tranny cooler...it is standard option.

Also...how did you install the airbags...yourself or professionally. I here you have to remove break lines to stick the bags into the struts. On a odyssey...it is supposedly easier.

14. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    I've been towing with several different Odys for more than 10 years. It's cheap insurance to add the tranny cooler and relatively easy to do. The coolers themselves are only about $30 for a decent one (not OEM). I would recommend that you head over to the odyclub.com and look at the forums for detailed instructions. If you are modestly handy, you can install it yourself with no issues. I have installed them on all of the Ody's that I have towed with. my current '03 has about 175K miles on it and we towed 6300 miles out to the pacific NW last summer with a lot of grades and a ~2800 lb trailer and it worked great. I have never had to do anything to any of my Ody trannies other than change the fluid regularly (I use Maxlife ATF). The Ody is a capable tow vehicle that can give you many long years of life. I have run them to 344K and 254K before they were hit and totaled and they were running great at that point in their life.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  15. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    I believe you're right, it does come with a small one. We had discussed upgrading it.

Ah, the airbags... My DH and his dad spent a good 4 hours of grunting and swearing and bloodying their knuckles and installed them. They got the job done. I don't remember which parts they had to remove, but it was a lot of them. Getting the actual springs out and back in was the worst part. I think if they had to do it again, they would have a professional do it.

16. p

p Active Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Thanks. I heard it was nasty to do. I bought and returned them. I now try to minimize tongue weight.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  17. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We put in an aux transmission cooler in our 2007 Grand Caravan since it didn't have a towing package. The worst part was you had to remove the entire front end of the car to get access. Once in there it was a matter of cutting one line, attaching some hoses, and zip-typing the cooler in place. And then putting it all back together lol. Wasn't too hard but time consuming.

We sold that vehicle last year and our new Pacifica has the towing package so I don't plan on adding a cooler this time.

18. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Honda had some strange cooling systems for their transmission. My wife Acura had water lines from the radiator coming to the transmission with a cooling plate on the transmission. I would look up how they install the aux cooler for their tow package??

19. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    Without a towing package added on, towing capacity on Odyssey’s is virtually nothing. I don’t remember off hand if it is 1,000 lbs or 0. Honda does their tow packages differently than most in that they are dealer installed options rather than from the factory. The benefit there is that you can add it to any of them at any time, no matter how it left the factory. You can even get the oem Honda parts if you want a cleaner look.

So, you definitely need a tranny cooler to tow any pup with an Odyssey. For at least some years, Honda also says you need a power steering cooler, though that one still confuses me.