January 2018 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Jan 1, 2018.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Happy New Year to everyone.
    Here's your reminder to charge your batteries, for those in that off-season routine.

While we've done a few things in the TT over the Christmas break, mostly we've been planning trips for the year. Some reservations are made:
    4 night solo to visit friends in Tucson (early April)
    1-1/2 week trip to AZ and UT, Retro Rally at Dead Horse Ranch SP, then on to the Escalante region for a few days. We should hear in the next couple of days if we got a permit for "The Wave" (Coyote Buttes North) - there only 900 people a day in the lottery for 20 slots
    Memorial Day week at North Rim/Grand Canyon
    Planned, but not reserved:
    Labor Day week in Colorado
    a week in October at South Rim/Grand Canyon
    I'm hoping to fit in a couple Sister on the Fly events too

2. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Replaced the batteries in the smoke alarms! Moved the camper back a little to change the tire flat spots :)

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    bought some of the rubber things for the stove. This week I will be pulling out the two softas to recover them and measuring the curtains so DW to make new curtains. DW is on an update kick, i'm along for the ride

jnc and Redbird934 like this.
  4. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I've already made new curtains for the Retro, a couple of years ago - the original ones were striped and out of some strange canvas fabric.
    I still like the ones I made,which are dark blue. However, in the interest of more light reflection inside at night, I'm thinking a lighter color might be better. We have good LED lights, but tend to use only 1 fixture at a time while dry camping.

5. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Looked longingly at our snow-covered pup while checking the batteries....there's things I'd like to do to it, but it's all buttoned up & covered for the winter. On the plus side, the wife & I, along with both kids and their families started plans for a long weekend of camping & ATV riding, hopefully about mid-March.

6. tenttrailer

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Know that feeling about it being closed up. Will need to fire up the furnace to take apart the softa's.

7. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    Dragged it away from the 3F temp this morning in DE to the 20F temp now at Santee SP in SC (warm inside though) enroute to the 70F temp in FL

8. swordfish

swordfish Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I am testing out a pillow to reduce snoring at home or camping. What works for me is one of those wedge pillows. The height was 7.5 inches. I still use my regular pillow on top of it. This app for your smart phone (if you care to monitor your snoring without your spouse) is called SnoreLab. https://www.screencast.com/t/3wlIytlcowf and after using the pillow https://www.screencast.com/t/lUYFiw7IIv I am down from 20% to 1%. This is a cheaper and more elegant solution than a cpap.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  9. tenttrailer

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    DW made curtains for our last camper in a washed blue denim with a white backing. Nice and dark during the day when closed. She did a nice job and they looked good, but I think the light reflection made the camper darker feeling. The new curtains will be light brown in a micro fabric. DW will make with her gift sewing. She will most likely enlist me to make the patterns and do the cutting, but she will keep a watchful eye on my work.

10. RkyMountainRose

RkyMountainRose Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Dropped off some trinkets (coffee cups and such) that had accumulated in the “stuff that needs to go to the camper” pile.

Also bought a 3” memory foam mattress topper.

11. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have those piles, some are things brought in for the winter. I also have a stack of new, small items, collected as I find them, e.g. broom holder and water filter.

12. RkyMountainRose

RkyMountainRose Member

Aug 27, 2007
    I don’t even remember what was in mine this time. The coffee cups, a wire basket we are hoping to convert to a drawer, some cleaning supplies (I think). You know, just the stuff that accumulates. I’m going to have a full day of organizing ahead of me the day we unpack it for spring!

kitphantom likes this.
  13. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The new Coleman Packaway 4 in 1 table arrived today. I might use it at home for a few things, but am inclined to just put it in the TT storage area with the other (4) tables. They are all very compact and store easily. By the end of the season, we had used all of the tables at least once, often 2-3 or more in any given campsite.

14. Redbird934

Redbird934 Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I have gotten serious about picking campsites for next summer, the Ontario Provincial parks start twill start opening the reservations soon.

It is so cold and the camper is covered in snow.

kitphantom likes this.
  15. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We ordered a BAL single axle chock - it's difficult to get a chock well set on the concrete. When we were talking about it today, after noticing the chock was under the TT, not wedging the tire, my husband said he's like to see something linked around the tire. I remembered seeing references to the BAL chock here on the Portal at some point.
    We know that we'll be on concrete or asphalt for more than half of the campsites planned for this year, so it should be a good addition to trips too.

16. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The BAL chock arrived and is installed. I'll need a wrench to tight it, but my husband can hand-tighten it. Looks likes it will work well. It'll be a couple of months before we use it on trips.

Attached Files:

17. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    I thought I was the only one who had that pile [:D] I’m about to add a couple pot holders to the pile tonight that my wife wanted out of the kitchen.

kitphantom likes this.
  18. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    I looked & made sure that the pup was tilted back enough, so that no water was pooling on the top.

19. Pit 4 Brains

Pit 4 Brains New Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Mesa Az
    I'm done with replacing defective parts that came with my new-to-me pup. Now I'm in the detailing process.
    I have the pup set up in the driveway and I want to clean the canvas and vinyl, then retreat the canvas with some waterproofer. If anyone has some tips on how to do that, I would appreciate any help.
    I also picked up some CAMCO RV slide lubricant and protectant. I applied that to the slides on the bunks and man what a difference that made. I also applied it to the lifting posts, the door hinges and the tongue latch. Upon fold up, I'll treat the stab jackscrews.
    I also replaced the CO detector since the last one was showing a fault light.
    We just had a family of four die in a cabin in Parks, AZ due to a furnace malfunction. Mom, dad and two children succumbed to CO and perished.

After washing the canvas and vinyl, I'm going to hit all the vinyl with some 303 red label and I think she'll be ready for the spring hunting season and some summer campin'

-Pete

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 9:59 PM
  20. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Member

Aug 1, 2014
    It would depend on the type of "canvas".
    My Niagara is Sunbrella fabric, with vinyl bunk roofs.
    My cleaning/waterproofing regimen takes two full, perfect weather days.

Day 1:
    In the morning, I clean the Sunbrella with Woolite and a soft bristle brush, per Sunbrella instructions then rinse with a garden pump sprayer, doing one section at a time. I wash the bunk roof vinyl with Simple Green. Then I treat the vinyl with a vinyl protectant (NOT Armor All)- I'm using a Meguiars product now, but have used Protect All (WalMart) as well with good results. Allow to dry.

Day Two:
    I start early, as the 303 protectant (303 Fabric Guard, in my case) needs several hours to cure. I tape off and cover all vinyl, including the windows, as the 303 can damage some vinyls. I treat the Sunbrella as per the bottle instructions. Remove tape & other masking, allow to cure, then put her away.

Be careful about the exact 303 product you use- it needs to match the fabric you are protecting. I don't think that you can/should use the same product on the bunk end roofs as the side fabric unless they are the exact same fabric.

mrkrag likes this.