Jayco 14SO vs Fleetwood Bayside?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by MaeKay, Jan 8, 2018.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Thanks for the offer! Luckily we have a Somerset dealer within an hour so we can go sit in a Utah at least. Obviously the appliances etc will be different but the know about the space and feel the weight will be helpful.

2. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    And yes, in some places we have a foot of snow. And it’s been sleeting and raining. We haven’t wanted people to have to open a camper in the rain/snow because they would have to leave it up for a long time before the rain is projected to stop. In a way, I took that as a good sign with the Bayside we went to look at. She said, you don’t want to pack away a wet camper. Which told me she at least cares for it a little. She's being kind and sort of saving it for us until our schedules align. I would NEVER ask a seller to do that, she just hasn't reposted it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    jmkay1 likes this.
  3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    If you want new popup, try the Somerset which is identical to Coleman.

If you can wait for Utah with sholiet or Niagara like I have. I never use shower though.

4. Alan

Alan Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Reno, NV
    Four tires also means $1,000 come time to replace them.

MaeKay likes this.
  5. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    We finally went into the city this afternoon and sat in a new Somerset Utah. Loved it! We let our kids wiggle around inside and we still felt like we had a ton of space, even with the gaucho pulled into bed mode.

Now to find a used one in our price range...

jnc likes this.
  6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Good luck!

MaeKay likes this.
  7. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    What do you guys know about the Jayco roof vs. the 2004 Alumitite roof? There's a seller that really wants to sell his 2003 Jayco Eagle 12 FSO to us for $3000 (around here, anything with a slide of that age or even older is going for $4000+ I know, I've tried to talk several sellers to lower and they won't go for it but the trailers eventually do sell). I like that it has the slide out couch, it's pretty similar to the Fleetwood Utah except that the galley is facing the gaucho, which I don't love. The sellers are the original owners and used it once a year and from pictures it looks pristine (yeah, I know...how many "excellent condition" campers have we all looked at that should actually be condemned...). It also has a shoilet...which I'm now on the fence about. And it has surge breaks (confirmed by seller)

We saw the outside of the Bayside but won't get to see it before this Saturday. From the pictures it's not in as good of shape as the Jayco and doesn't have the gaucho and has the potentially problematic Alumitite room. But it comes with tons of extras (screen room, all the camping gear, hoses, tanks, tools, etc). Part of me is thinking of buying both now and selling one of them for a profit in the spring.

Just trying to gather as much data as I can on the pros and cons of each of these. We can go look at the Jayco on Tuesday (2.5 hours away) and the Bayside this next Saturday.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I'm not sure if Jayco still has the two part roof or not. My old Jayco had an aluminum roof that had a seam down the middle. That seam could leak if you are not on top of keeping it sealed at all times. Honestly the alumitite roof is a pretty decent roof if the roof racks don't leak. Don't feel the need to rush and buy something if your not 100% sold on it. Although that Jayco does sound promising assuming the seller is honest.

MaeKay likes this.
  9. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    It *looks* like a pretty clean unit. The stickers are even in good shape (which my husband likes). The Bayside looks less clean but I can’t tell from the photos if it’s just dirt on the floor from not being swept out or if that speaks to a larger maintenance issue.

Attached Files:

10. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    19968630-E8FC-404F-88E4-2BA66E9EA4B4.jpeg 34F41844-670D-431A-B250-63FB5058CBC9.jpeg 87315247-A5DE-461A-ADE3-0E81264C8BAB.jpeg 88821418-B954-40AF-A07E-C33EBE8FF007.jpeg 2F27BB56-53F7-4DEE-8D86-54F9237DEA77.jpeg 052A7478-6BA2-45C5-BB00-CDC5592A8667.jpeg Here’s photos of the inside of the Bayside. The curtains look like they need help but looking at videos of other Baysides, I almost wonder if they’re supposed to look like that.

Attached Files:

11. jmkay1

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    As far as the Bayside those curtains sadly really do look like that. Exactly like my old curtains in my Utah. Valance stretched out and thin curtains. Personally I prefer the floor plan of the Bayside not to mention the bigger sink. The couch in front of that gally in the Jayco is stupid in my opinion especially if you plan to cook inside and the smaller sink makes it very difficult to wash dishes. Again only if you plan to cook and clean inside. Your right though. Picture wise the Jayco looks very clean. It also does appear that the Jayco has the two part roof. So if you do look at it make sure the seams have been calked well and solid on the center seam. You know your family better than I. Honestly I would concentrate on floor plan mainly, Go with what you see would flow better with your family. What would work better for your style of camping. Try and picture everyone inside on a cold rainy day. What do you see getting used the most. Then obviously once you find the floor plan find the condition your are looking for.

MaeKay likes this.
  12. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    We had the benefit of camping in the cold, so I know what it feels like to have excited kids cramped in a small trailer. I agree with you, having the galley in front of the gaucho is dumb.

I like that this Jayco is clean, has a gaucho, and a shoilet. I like that the Bayside is a better lay out for the way I use it. (I doubt I’ll be washing dishes inside but I do plan to do simple cooking inside). Might just have to wait for a Utah. :)

It’s interesting, the new Jaycos of this model have the galley in a similar location to the Utah. So enough people probably complained.

13. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    As far as roof quality goes, any roof can leak. I was thrilled that the original owner of my Bayside replaced the ABS roof with the Alumitite roof. I removed the racks and tracks. and sealed the seams and its all good. The Jayco roof might be great so may the Bayside. The real question is did they do proper maintenance.

As I have said before if maintenance and cost are equal, then layout should be the tie breaker... in my opinion.

MaeKay likes this.
  14. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    From all that I’ve read we should be able to do the recalking of the racks if it hasn’t already been done.

Thanks for being my inner voice of sanity and keep on reminding me!

15. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Decisions decisions decisions...

There is a 2004 Fleetwood Utah available locally going for $4000 that looks clean from the photos. No shoilet but I could do without that. Just not sure I want the gaucho bad enough to pay $1000 extra for it. But I’m leaning toward thinking it would be worth it.

jmkay and I could be trailer and tow vehicle twins. :)

Attached Files:

jmkay1 likes this.
  16. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    The Utah is essentially the same floor plan I have.. I love it. However I'm not sure it's worth 1000.

Ask yourself would I spend the 1000 bucks bringing the other ones I'm considering up to the same levels the Utah. If the answer is yes, then get the Utah. If it is no, then is the gaucho worth the extra difference.

MaeKay likes this.
  17. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Great advice. I love most things about the 2004 Bayside (specifically that year), just want an additional sleeping spot that isn’t the dinette. When we camped in cold weather it was nice to have the table without having to pack away my toddler’s bed (toddlers sleep with lots of stuff, especially in cold weather...and then her CareBears needed their own stuff, too). When we look inside I want to see if we can create an extra sleeping spot somewhere for her. She’s a stinker and won’t sleep in the same bunk end with her brother.

Another nice thing about the 2004 Bayside is that the fridge is still accessible after the trailer is collapsed. With the Utah, the galley swings down in front of the fridge. But I don’t think it would be that hard to pack the fridge the day before and leave the fridge running on 110V and leave the trailer plugged in until we leave.

18. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Ugg. Just looked at the 2004 Bayside. It had a roof leak and that corner was spongy. The door lock was broken, we couldn’t get the furnace pilot to light but we got the stove to light. She’s very motivated to sell so we’re going to call a trailer repair shop and see how much it would cost to fix it. But I hated the set up and take down! Hated it! Granted it was barely 40 degrees so maybe the canvas was more unwieldy but still. We set up and sold our Viking in 32 degree weather with less difficulty.

Another 2004 Utah “has a small leak but I repaired it”. Meaning he caulked it. It seems that every trailer in our budget ($4000) has a roof leak. I’m quite discourage.

And after hating the setup with the slide, I’m curious to see if a very small hybrid would be easier to set up. We only have a V8 4Runner and while we can tow 7000 pounds I’m not sure how big/long of a trailer we can tow.

Blechk!

19. jmkay1

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Yes a slide out does add a bit more work then a regular popup. It's one more extra step. When it's warmer the canvas is more pliable so it's easier but still does take extra setup time. When looking for a hybrid or TT you need to answer a couple questions. 1) do you plan to go over mountains 2) do you know of any length limitations you will have. 3) storage is also another problem you may face. Does your city have any rules about trailer storage at home? 4) does the v8 4 runner have any frontal area limitations.

Obviously if your going over any mountain ranges you need to leave a lot more play in your numbers. Then if your only travel on fairly flat land. You also have to account for wind resistance as it is going to make the trailer feel much heavier.
    My parents have a V8 4 runner and have a 25' TT Rockwood ultra light. Not sure how much it weighs but my dad hates driving it although it is within the weight restrictions of the vehicle. Part of his discomfort is he can't see much on the side or back of him when he tows. He has tried multiple universal towing mirrors but they just don't fit right over the rounded mirrors on the 4 runner. For him they vibrated too much. Not sure if there are any better ones now or if he was too nervous about scratching the car. You may want to start a new thread under going gray if you feel that's the way you want to go. Good luck.

20. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Sigh. Thanks for listening to the rant. I doubt we’ll go dark or gray side. I wouldn’t want to tow anything longer than 20 feet and I really appreciate your dad’s experience with a TT. We have zero towing experience. I had this silly idea that maybe a hard sided trailer wouldn’t leak. Ha! Plus I’m sure we’d have an even harder time finding a hybrid in our budget.

I’m disappointed because we had several camping trips planned this year and hoped to take the trailer to get away from home. I’ll just have to keep looking. Everyone on this site keeps gently reminding me to wait for the right trailer. It will come when it’s supposed to.

There is that 2003 Jayco Eagle 12fso that sounds promising and actually sounds like it has been cared for. This last Bayside just had so many things carelessly dealt with. Setting up the slide out wasn’t really a pain. I was the take down. The canvas kept getting caught and at the very end when it was cranked down all the way she had to climb on top to get it to latch. She did that like that was normal so I don’t think it was just cold weather related. It really was just a beast to get everything tucked in and not snagging.