JayCo Popup Rebuild (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by DFire2, Jun 20, 2016.

1. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Most of it will be covered up by either cushions or cabinets. So with the damage that happened, it's not that bad.

If you want fanciness. Just use a table saw with the very low cut and make your own "beadboard" out of plywood panels.

2. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    So I got started on the cabinets...they came out a little more "reinforced" than I wanted, but still weight wasn't too bad...

First, I got out the 1/2" ACX plywood and started some doodling...
    [​IMG]

Then the cutting...
    [​IMG]

And just to make sure I'm satisfied with my design...yup, we're good. :)
    [​IMG]

And reinforcing, which will used for inner walls, drawer supports, and counter support...
    [​IMG]

And the final assembly, still have to get a new fire extinguisher, ours expired in...take a guess...1994
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Buda, TX
    That's a good idea- like shiplap!

4. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Buda, TX

I didn't go back and look, did you keep the same layout for the cabinets?

5. smalt4

smalt4 New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Totally amazing! I LOVE seeing the progress in pictures. We have a 1994 Jayco but nowhere near your talent.

6. fastdixie

fastdixie Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Nice progress, liking your repair ideas!

7. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    No, cabinet layout and design is all new. See OP for layout change.

I really want to finish the cabinets tomorrow, even get the countertops done if possible. Just mapping out on paper my plywood cutting diagrams to get the most out of wood.

8. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Cabinet progress for today...

I went to Home Depot and got another sheet of 1/2" Sanded Ply and a bundle of 2x2's. I already had the plans down for cutting, so I let HD to the majority of for me ;)

Then I decided on my drawer, fridge, and cabinet door dimensions, and started drilling my corner holes.
    [​IMG]

Then got out my jigsaw and finished my cutouts...
    [​IMG]

Almost forgot I had plans to install an outlet in this panel, the cut came out really well. Used a spare piece of 2x2 and ply to use as anchors for the brads, some didn't do in all the way >.<
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then added my studs...
    [​IMG]

And this panel is finished! Moreless...
    [​IMG]

Next was to get the other pieces put together to complete this whole assembly...
    [​IMG]

I made some support pieces out of more spare 2x2's and ply, just something to make sure it all squares up and gives me support for gluing and nailing.
    [​IMG]

Then used some other 2x2 scrap to give me enough clearance to clamp the panels together...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After getting the two assemblies fitted together, I decided not to join them yet because they need to be painted and everything. If joined permanently, I wouldn't be able to get them out of the camper, ^_^

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I unforunately didn't get to building the other bench seat and finishing the first one. Planning to head back out tomorrow and get those done, maybe even get the electrical mounted, too. Here's hoping!

9. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    And now today's progress...big bench seat complete!

Here it is with the back and top supports done.
    [​IMG]

And with the tops on it, just normal 1/2" ply, no sanded. Drilled finger holes, too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I got started on building the other bench seat, connected to the cabinets...

Panel and studs laid out.
    [​IMG]

After this piece was put together, I had enough time to cut the side panel and glue/brad it to the front panel.
    [​IMG]

Oh, and I forgot to make the notches for the cables, not all of them came out correct, I'll fix them later.

10. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Didn't get a whole lot done today, because I had a family lunch during my "camper time".

Today I worked on getting the small bench complete. I quickly realize I screwed up with my supports, they were supposed to be offset 1/2" down to accommodate for the "lid". So I decided to use my circular saw and my new (bought 3mths ago, haven't used til now) multi-tool to get the necessary slot.
    [​IMG]

Then I had to cut and mount the back brace...
    [​IMG]

And then there's the inner supports, which I screwed up the outside one. As you can see, the the support hits the corner one, but that's an easy fix ;)
    [​IMG]

And a view from the door...
    [​IMG]

11. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    I forgot to post progress pictures from a couple days ago...

I forgot to show pictures of the cutouts for the lift cables...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wanted to see how the cushions colors looked against the wall and floors, I like it! Oh, my daughter decided she wanted in on it, too.
    [​IMG]

Ok, now to finish that half bench seat!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now it's time to start on the drawers!! Getting all my measurements wrote out...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ended up getting the board pieces cut for the 3 drawers on the door-side cabinet. I have to go to Home Depot and get a sheet of 1/8" hardboard (at least I think that's what it's called). Only ~$8 for 4'x8' sheet.

NOTE: I had plans to do some French Cleat style drawer sliders, but figured that was a little much I thought, so I'm gonna go with some basic wood sliders.

I won't be able to resume anymore camper work until Monday, stay tuned!

12. jmatasov

jmatasov "Never tell me the odds." -Han Solo

Aug 19, 2016
    Western NY
    Great job on the rebuild! How does the "hardboard" differ from plywood?