JayCo Popup Rebuild (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by DFire2, Jun 20, 2016.

1. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    Sometimes it gets almost 100F, but not too often. Plus this is a popup, I have plenty of ventilation...

2. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Yep, there's plenty of ventilation.

3. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Feb 6, 2018
    How much can insulating the walls actully help. The walls even if not insulated at least have some sort of thermal break from the inside and outside sheeting. Considering the rest is canvas i cant really see how insulating will actually help at all.

4. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I don't think insulating the walls alone would make much difference. With thermal curtains and perhaps a solar cover on the bunkends, it would hold more heat than without I would think.

5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Take it from someone who has used a pup in temps ranging between 15-30F. Anything you can add for insulation is a plus.

79venture, DFire2 and Mamie like this.
  6. Allamakee County

Allamakee County New Member

May 13, 2016
    Allamakee County, Iowa
    So when are you starting the roof? When are ya? Huh? Huh?

(I have a '95 Starcraft in desperate need of a new roof and am stalling. Would rather watch someone else work on one than actually do mine myself.)

jnc likes this.
  7. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    I've been thinking about ways to make it in my head, mainly the top section of the roof. I've seen some use 1/2" pine planks lined up side to side, but that to me is too much weight. I'm want to use some either Luan paneling or 3/8" plywood. These are some things I have to consider...

- 4" ceiling thickness to account for recessed lighting (probably 12v), and wiring
    - Original roof vent only fitted for current 1" thick ceiling
    - Want to also mount possible bike rack system on top of roof

In light of these ideas, it needs to be light, yet sturdy. I'll probably do the 3/8" ply (sanded if possible) on the top, with luan for the ceiling, using 1x4 for braces, and 1x8 or 10 for sides.

All still in the thought process...

8. jnc

Why not us metal studs for framing instead of wood?

9. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    If I could find some aluminum braces that are lighter weight than 1x4 pine, I'll consider it.

I also want to keep the inside ceiling height, it's literally perfect height for me, about 2in from my head, lol.

I'll probably build the bike rack on the top at the same time so I know it'll have sufficient support.

I plan to use some Elasti-coat for the top coating.

Do you think I could get away with 1/4" ply/luan for the top? Or go with 1/2"?

10. jnc

I would rather not use plywood because I dont want any seams in the roof. The 1/2" OSB Sheathing has more water resistance than the 1/4 Luan and will have more strength and less give than the luan.

11. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    I personally hate using any OSB (blame my dad for that, lol). But I do see your point with using something that interlocks...

12. jnc

Oh trust me I am no fan of OSB But for it is made to go under roofing. I see some posts that folks are using one piece rubber. I dont know the cost or where to get it but I would consider it because every camper I see that has water damage it starts at the roof seams.

13. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    I plan on using Elasti-Coat for the top, which is pretty much a roll on plastic/rubber seal.

14. jnc

I like the Idea of paint on rubber roof but would like to Hear from someone that used it a few years ago to have some incite into how well it has held up.

15. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Member

Mar 16, 2017
    I have spent time throughout the day all day today working my way through this thread. You are doing amazing work! It looks awesome.

16. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    I think DHConepts (i think that's the name on here) used that method.

Thanks! Yeah, this thread is starting to get long, lol.

17. Bowser

Bowser New Member

Apr 1, 2018
    This is my first post on this site. I came across your renovation and I'm really impressed with it. My wife and I have been considering a pop up for a while now and I think one we can renovate and make our own would be the way to go. I really like your floor plan, seems nice and roomy. And I like that you got rid of the sink and stove inside the pop up(your not putting them back in, right?). If you wouldn't mind, please consider a couple questions I have, keep in mind though I am a complete novice on the subject of pop up campers.

Since the kitchen has been removed (I believe), will you be using some sort of camp stove separate from the camper or one that attaches to the side like I've seen on other pop ups?

Will you also be doing an external sink? One that also may attach to the side of camper. Or a stand alone?

If going with sink, will there be hot water? If so, what do you have in mind as a hot water system?

Also, what do you have in mind for gray water?

Will you be heating your pop up? Do you have anything in mind for that?

Lastly, any thoughts on air-conditioning for your pop up?

These are some things I would consider for my renovation, but I'm not really clear on how to get there, yet.

Thx, and I'll be following your renovation:).

Mark

18. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    DW and I plan on using just some wash tubs (dump outside) instead of a sink.

No need for hot water.

I don't plan on heating it. Most of our camping will be done in the summer months. We're used to just tent camping, so just the basics. Same with the air conditioning, a popup offers plenty of ventilation.

For cooking I simple plan to use 1# Coleman canisters with a removable stove and such.

19. Bowser

Bowser New Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I have been a tent/car camper all my life, including being a backpacker, also. Our last tent camping trip really brought to light the desire to be less primitive and have some creature comforts as illustrated from my questions. I'll get figured out. Greatest thing I have to overcome though is losing driveway space to something we'll use 1 or 2 times a year. Thx again.

20. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    But because of the layout and the way I constructed the cabinets, installing a sink/water system would not be hard, I still have a 6gal tank from the old cabinet setup that could be used.