Jayco, Rockwood, Coachman, K-Z...overwhelmed!

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Eric O., Dec 17, 2018.

1. Eric O.

Eric O. New Member

Hi all. I'm looking at a few Hybrids and feel overwhelmed. Looking for roughly 2014 or newer models, 16-21' long. Do any of you have a favorite make or model? Or better yet...any to stay away from due to poor construction? Thanks so much in advance!

2. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

End of the day, the names on the side never mean as much as the names on the title. And that’s a fact. I’ve got a 12 year old TT that was made by Forest River and given a “Viking” name, that only lasted for a year on the market back then (it was too costly to be branded Viking some Corp bigwig decided). With a little effort on my part, I trust this camper to take us anywhere we want go. I credit that with the previous owner, not the manufacturer because we know they cut as many corners as possible in ode to the bottom line. But they were diligent in fixing things that needed fixed, when they needed fixing and prepping to avoid things that could’ve happened. So worry less about the brand and more about the condition, I.e. what lies under the pretty stuff.

Eric O. and neighbormike like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Like mentioned above they are pretty much all built the same ... lousy. Just pay attention to floor plan and current condition. Have your whole family try it out so you can feel how the floorplan works for you and your family so you can get a feel what it will be like if you are all stuck inside. Pretend to cook, get ready for bed, etc. Then really look it over top to bottom, in and out.

neighbormike likes this.
  4. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

Just to clarify, your Viking was built BEFORE Forest River Inc bought out Coachmen, in 2009. Coachmen owned Viking but FR only acquired the Viking popup division.
    So your Viking TT was not built by Forest River.
    http://rvdailyreport.com/industry/viking-bankruptcy-causes-industry-confusion/

5. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I have a 2009 StarCraft TravelStar 21SSB (actually made by Jayco). I love it. It had a few issues when I bought it (used), but nothing I couldn't fix. Like emoney, I would take mine anywhere. Good luck in your search.

6. Eric O.

Eric O. New Member

Thanks so much for your input! I'm torn between spending $13,000 on a brand new KZ Sportsman, $12,000 on a 2016 Jayco, and about $7-8,000 on a 2007 Starcraft. I'd imagine there will be some issues with all of them, but thinking with a new one I'd at least know that I've been the only one maintaining it. They're all similar in size and floorplan. Thanks so much!

7. Eric O.

Eric O. New Member

Sold! This beauty will be in the driveway with a big red bow on it on Christmas morning. I'm so excited to get her out!

Attached Files:

emoney likes this.
  8. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Congrats to you guys!!

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

download.jpeg Congratulations.

10. jmkay1

Congratulations I'm sure you are looking forward to trying it out.

11. Shaman1

Congrats. Now you can get to camping and mods.

12. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

Congratulations! We bought our first camper in March, a leftover 2017 Jayco 19XUD. We love it!

Enjoy!

13. Shaman1

So Eric, have you had it out yet?

14. wusthof

wusthof Member

Congrats!

15. leningradka

leningradka Spending a small fortune to live like homeless guy

Eric, if you are still here, how do you like it? Its been a but now since you have owned it

I am in the same boat, looking at different ones and am overwhelmed and trying to do research

16. cyclop5

cyclop5 Member

We picked up a new KZ Sportsmen Classic 160rbt in Feb. Well, bought in Feb.. inaugural trip was in April. We love it, but... Holy heck, it tows different than a pup. I figured my gas mileage would drop, but I wasn't expecting single digits :) My biggest problem wit it is.. nothing. As in, I got nothing to do too it - everything works. It's got inside LED lights, it's got outside LED lights. It's got water, it's got heat, etc. etc. There is *nothing* for me to tinker with. I don't know what to do with myself :)

Reckon the TV needs some work... maybe I can go do that instead :)

17. jmkay1

@cyclop5 congratulations on your new camper. I was really looking at the KZ 160rbt back when I was looking, however I was worried about hauling the camper through the mountain passes and decided upon it.

18. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

the air resistance on that 6cyl inline engine, makes it work harder than a stronger engine.
    i pull a 26'+ TT with my F150 3.5 Ecoboost and i average between 10-11mpg, driving out West.

19. cyclop5

cyclop5 Member

yeah, the Trailblazer does struggle a bit, especially in a headwind. Looking back, I probably should have bought something a bit beefier. I'll let everyone know how it does in a month or so. We're headed to Boston from Chicago in July/August. Hopefully the hills shouldn't be too bad. If nothing else, I'll just pretend to be a "big rig" and go slow in the right lane :)