July 2019 - So, what did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Jul 1, 2019.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

July already! Here in central NM, we seemed to have a very long winter, a long, spring, and a slow start to summer, but it's here now. We may not hit 100 this year, but we finally have hit the upper 90s.
    I checked the max/min thermometer inside the TT this morning, the cabin has been up to 107 over the last couple of days, but the fridge stayed in the target range. Also auditioned a new area rug for chilly weather trips, it fits nicely in the odd floor space where I plan to use it.
    Yesterday, so really last month, we repainted the parking guide lines on the driveway. After a couple of years in the weather, they had gotten faint as the paint had chipped away. This time, we used fluorescent orange instead of white. We're hoping that will be even more visible under some lighting conditions. We have marks for the axle and edge of tire on the TT, plus front and back corners, and for the edge of the bumper visible in the back up camera for the truck (so there's swing room to open the garage door). Courtenay has said it's much easier to park the trailers when there's a reference point on the large expanse of grey concrete; we began to use the painted lines with the second popup.

Raycfe, Sjm9911 and PopUpSteve like this.
  2. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

This summer we have bought an awning for our pup, it's designed for rv's but works a treat giving us double the amont of living space.

Attached Files:

3. Garrity

Garrity Member

Greased the Goshen lift system. Realized that my cable pulley in the rear was seized up. That explains why it is always a two beer job to raise the roof... I was able to get it moving again with some PB break free and then greased it up again. On my list of items to replace. Hooked up the battery tender to top it off. 5 night/6 day trip coming up for the holiday. Plan on doing a bit of fishing and scouting the area for animals. Also plan on installing our solar system on the trip since we will have shore power.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Redheadedcamper

Redheadedcamper New Member

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Just added a cable to my sewer valve. No big deal.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

prepping and loading to go on my monthly 4 day trip, Prepping the boat motor and trailer too as DW is bringing that over and drop it off, then pick it up later in the week, too hot to canoe. of course Pebbles is all excited since I showed her the harness. I have no idea if she will take to fishing but gets excited when she sees her P.F.D.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  7. kitphantom

Canceled my trip for a SOTF weekend next week - just a bit too much going on at home, and it's going to be hot, hot. I had a power site and a/c, but I don't go camping to spend my time inside.

Four years ago, I pieced a quilt specifically for the bed in the TT. I passed it to a quilter, who had never returned it. I finally got it back yesterday, along with the deposit I'd made, and an apology. I washed it, in its partially quilted and basted state, to remove pet hair and dander so my good friend and sewing pal can help me with it. In the interim, she's become a great quilter, so we will get it finished. I piece, but my quilting is basic and utilitarian. I do need to finish the quilt I made for the single bed in the popup, which I put aside when we sold it. [We've been using the one I did for the full bed in the pup, but it's been a bit small on the short queen in the TT.]

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

The fridge fan I put in last month stopped working. Couldn't find the problem. Started rewiring but the wiring was connected to the roof lift, so I didn't want to screw it up.

Ended up calling a mobile mechanic because I had loose wires and didn't want to tow like that (even though there are several repair shops in my area). He got everything wired for me and found that the fan had died also. So I picked up a new fan and installed it per his setup. So far so good! It's hot out and the fan is zipping along.

Got everything plugged back in and the fridge is cooling. We'll see how cold it gets.

Have a ground short in the ceiling lights wiring. Will have to go through them and get that resolved at some point. But my lanterns work great, so I'll use them for the upcoming trip.

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Oh, I meant to add:

The mechanic does electrical, appliances, slides, etc. He does not do roofs or canvas replacements. He DOES work on popups. So, if anyone needs a mechanic in the Sacramento Valley check out Denny's Mobile RV Repair.

10. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

replaced the handle on my ceiling vent today, and changed 2 of the bunk bungees, when I have access to the other side of the camper I'll change the others. Slowly but surely

11. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

I gave the PUP a good scrubbing on the outside today. We camp in the forest, about 15 miles off pavement so when it rains, and it seems like it always does when we break camp, everything gets really dirty from the forest roads. I scrubbed the roof and canvas too and even took a magic eraser to some of the stubborn spots. Big sweaty job but gosh it looks good! Tomorrow I'll do the inside. I plan to remove the ceiling vent cover and clean that too, how did that get so dirty on the underside?

Changed out all our bulbs to LED finally. Looking forward the the battery savings there. And I purchased solar fairy lights since we almost never camp with electricity anymore. I miss the ambient lighting.

8lugnutz likes this.
  12. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Sanitized the water tank, lines and pump because our pup season starts in earnest in two weeks. Four trips are planned. I also re-waterproofed the bunk end windows.

I also decided to time my setup from start to finish. It was 14 minutes. This included EVERYTHING - Leveling, unlatching & raising the roof, setting safety supports, setting stabilizers, pulling out bunk ends, setting sink/stove, setting Sheppard hooks, setting door, Velcro everything. I set up by myself and I didn't race. Just a nice steady pace so I wouldn't forget anything. I'll take 14 minutes any time! [8D]

The timing did not include the Gizmos. I took them off last weekend because they were damp and I was racing an incoming storm and wanted the pup canvas to dry quicker so that I could get the roof down. We didn't camp last weekend, we used the pup as sleeping quarters for the visiting DD and four of the grand kids.

Garrity, kcsa75 and hayyward like this.
  13. kitphantom

We had over half an inch of rain last night, so we opened the awning to dry out, nice to be able to do that before it grows mildew again.
    Since I canceled my trip for this coming week, we drained the fresh and hot water tanks. Next trip isn't until after mid-August.

14. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

I’m currently trying to figure out why my roof vent is not working, I took the trim off but can’t find how to remove the screen to access the motor, any ideas?
    As a bonus when I took off the trim some water leaked, guess it will be a bigger job than anticipated

15. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

I washed the vinyl on the bunk ends, redid the roof with gorilla grip, caulked some of the seams, replaced the electric winch on the lift and some of the cable. Now I am hopefully going to add battery boxes and some more hanging shelves, and camp lots!

16. Garrity

Garrity Member

Wow that is impressive! Goals to get there for me.

HappyTraveler and BikeNFish like this.
  17. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

Sitting on my living room floor is a new WFCO 35 amp power supply. It gets installed tomorrow. Old one burned out last night of a two week trip. Able to run AC of stout extension cord we always carry. I kind of dread this job, but have watched Slim Potatohead and Going Nowhere Fast change theirs and Auto Zone and Home Depot are close.

18. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Just finally got the PUP out the backyard parking spot to the side yard. Good to see the old gal up.

Best yet: zero mice! Two years running, the TT has lost that title to the PUP.

BikeNFish and neighbormike like this.
  19. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Poured 750 sq ft of concrete to park it on.
    Driveway.jpg

20. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

One of the best things I ever did was to pour a slab for my pup.