Jumping Jack utility / tent trailers.

Discussion in 'Vintage & Off The Wall Campers' started by dbhost, Jun 14, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Stumbled across these yesterday when I was looking for the Double Duty tent trailer. These seem to be a better design.

http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/

Watch the setup video, this thing looks like an AWESEOME way to migrate a step up from basic tenting... Just needs a provision for AC...

Their dealer network is kind of lacking, From what I can see they are a bit pricey for what they are... Still quite a bit less expensive as compared to a SylvanSport Go, but more than I expected.

https://www.nielsonrv.com/product-jumping-jack

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I don't know. Doesn't seem much better than a flat trailer and bring a tent.

3. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Gets you up off the ground, tent setup is very quick. It's a far sight easier to set up than say a Double Duty...

Yes it is very plain and stripped down. That seems to be the point.

There's no shortage of folks, quite a few that I am friends and family with, that are wanting to step up out of a tent but not quite ready to get into a full on RV. They would like an air conditioned, or heated space, with comfortable bed, and protection from the elements.

So let's assume for a second that you are a current tent camper that is aging, and would like to simplify setup / teardown, but not quite go the full on pop up or RV route, so let's also would say go for the 6x8 model. They say it has 96 sq/ft of living space IN the tent...

Secondly, let's assume JumpingJack is willing to configure, OR you are willing to mod to set up a platform for, and a boot to integrate a window unit AC and an E-port to bring electric into the tent.

That handles the protection from the elements, and Air Conditioned space. It does look FAR simpler than most pop ups to set up, although most pop ups aren't hard to set up...

You would still need to provide your kitchen, and bathroom, but since you are moving up from tenting, this shouldn't be that tough.

The bed looks like it isn't great, not awful, just not great...

I'm not saying it's a great solution, and it IS massively overpriced for what it is, BUT for some folks, it might just be what they are looking for...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  4. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

That's a pricey utility trailer with a tent.

5. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Still cheaper than some other utility trailers with a tent...

It's an interesting idea, but yeah, too expensive to be a reasonable alternative...

6. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

I've contemplated making a camper that can slide on top of a utility trailer just like this so I don't have to have two trailers at the house. It seems like the canvas is a really heavy duty canvas though and would certainly last a long time. Definitely a little on the pricey side but good for someone who wants both worlds. I've seen these:

https://theusatrailerstore.com/double-duty-utility-camping-trailer/

Which are much cheaper but they certainly don't seem anywhere near the quality of the jumping jack trailers. For me easy setup and getting off the ground is the number one reason for going from a tent to a popup. That and a real mattress.

7. Mike J

Mike J New Member

We bought our Jumping Jack new in 2007 for $6k. It seems expensive, until you realize that it is a tent trailer, utility trailer (tent comes out), AND toy hauler (can hold 2 quads) all in one. It is super rugged and simple. My wife and I have had it in 46 of the lower 48 states, and used to fit all 5 of our kids in there to sleep. Yet, it's light enough for me to tow it with my Jeep for my back hills adventuring. I highly, highly recommend them, and am happy to answer any questions. We have yet to find something we like better...and we look constantly!

DigitalGuru likes this.