Just bought my first pop up and I have a couple questions.

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Catdaddy, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Catdaddy

Catdaddy New Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Hey everybody! Just bought a 2004 Palomino Pony pop up in excellent condition. The only thing it needs is an awning. Do you guys recommend a cheap aftermarket awning to replace it? Website? Thanks!

2. myride

myride Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    IMO the best route to go is an awning attached to the roof. Dometic comes to mind.
    Some have used a pop-up type of awning / screen room but I believe wind/rain drainage becomes an issue with those.

https://www.dometic.com/en-ca/ca/products/climate/awnings

Congrats on the Palomino, had a Pinto and loved it all the time we had it.

Catdaddy likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    There are a few websites that sell awnings although I haven't had the guts to try mainly because the high crime rate in my area. If I ordered through my local dealer it would cost me an arm and a leg. I ended up improvising with a tarp and tarp poles. I just have to take it off during travel. Kind of a pain, so I only use it for my long trips.

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I prefer the Carefree of Colorado Campout. I had one on my Palomino and loved it. As soon as the awning dies on my Coleman, it's getting replaced with a Campout...

5. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    My popup came with a bag awning attached. I've used it twice in 15 years

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I have used EZ ups instead of awnings but as myride stated, there are issues with the drainage toward the pup because the angled legs of the EZ up won't allow you to get it close to the pup and the door won't open if it does get close. There will always be a gap. However, if the rain is just a sprinkle, the gap is no big deal.

My preference is always the awning and sometimes I will use the EZ up in tandem with the awning.

Grand Portage Setup.jpg

I have a Dometic awning.

Catdaddy likes this.
  7. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    Me too. The bag awning that comes with most Popups are a pain to set up by one person, and even with 2, it takes too much time and effort, IMHO.

Question: Does the Carefree of Colorado awning put a lot of stress on the roof? I worry about torquing my lift system.

Catdaddy likes this.
  8. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    I replaced my PITA Fleetwood awning with a Dometic Classis awning and love it! Much easier to set up.
    I bought it from RVWorkshop.com

9. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    No more than any other attached awning. One thing I like about the Campout is no guywires at all.

The Pony has a standard Goshen lift system. So it's easier to repair and/or get parts for.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  10. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    I’ll also say I love my Carefree awning. I have no problem handling it by myself, although my pup is only 8’, so that probably helps. The best part to me of an awning vs an EZ-Up type canopy, is being able to keep the front windows open in rain.

When I was a kid we had a traditional non-bag awning on our Starcraft pup and it was definitely more way more work to slide it into the track and then get the poles and guys strung up before the other poles fell over.

11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Ours came with bag awning, too. Have used it exactly ZERO times. Thinking about taking it off one of these days and storing in the shed. Will make the roof lighter.

12. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    I took my bag awning off to lighten up the camper, I never use it. Now I am looking up the cost of a carefree awning. Just one more thing for my wishlist.

13. Catdaddy

Catdaddy New Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Thank you all so much!

14. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    I can set mine up myself it's just that there are only two of us and many of the places we stay at the picnic table is fixed in place. Usually under some sort of cover. last time I set the awning up we had a strom blow up and it flipped the awning up over the top of the pup. Broke a few of the plastic pins on the poles so I haven't used it since

15. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    If you call canvas replacements or the manufacturer you can get replacement parts to fix it...

16. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    Just FYI, somewhere here, you'll have to do a search but I laid out the way you can make one using a tarp, some line and conduit. Since my NEW one just got stolen I may have to actually make that one.

17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I used to set mine up every time I went camping, the shade it provided made it worthwhile, especially as shade for the dogs.
    However since going dark It is much easier to set up and is larger too takes about a minute.

18. p

p Active Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Not a lot of stress but it does pull your roof to the side increasing your door gap. No easy fix for this.

19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I made simple awnings for our first pup, the tiny 6' Palomino. Learned a lot about need for a way to drain water and not collect it on the awning. The second pup did not have an awning, and the dealer no longer had the optional one in stock. (We bought the Coleman Cobalt as new-old-stock, a year or so after FTCA went belly-up.) I found a Carefree awning on eBay. We never permanently installed it, with the 8' pup it was easy enough to transport in the TV when we thought we'd be using it. (Alternately, we could have transported it on the roof rack.) By not installing it, we eliminated stress on the bag on the road, and exposure to UV and rain except when in use.
    I'm not impressed with the Dometic awning on the TT. While the awnings on the pups could stress the roof in the wind, this one doesn't even stand the breezes those did. It's easier to open and roll up than the bag awnings, but that's about all the good I have to say about it. (On the last couple of trips, it has jammed partway open, so I don't dare use it when I'm by myself.) It doesn't shelter much from rain, the only place we could set the outside table/stove to cook in bad weather is right next to the door, and we can't sit outside in rain. It does help with the sun on that side of the TT, but we need to roll it in by the time the breeze hits 20 mph. Even when not used, moisture seeps in from the ends and we have to clean off mildew.
    In the "if we knew then" category, we might have chosen a different replacement awning when I damaged the first Dometic on the TT.
    For us, a free standing shelter of some sort is much more flexible. We actually have three, but seldom use all of them. Two REI Alcoves are used the most, though they do have a rain gathering issue (we need to work on a fix for that). I can set them up by myself, and we can set them up completely separately, end-to-end, or side-by-side. We bought 2 wind walls, each covers a side and end. The Alcoves are pretty stable in the wind, they have handled the wind at one of our favorite campsites, where 2 out of the 4 canopies or shelters we've used over the years have failed. (It gets canyon winds most evenings, and our favorite site is actually more protected than some. )
    We also have a screen house, one of the failures at that campsite. If it is likely to be buggy, we use the screen house and one Alcove. If my husband has hiked or done a backpack in monsoon season, one or another shelter turns into a drying shed for his equipment.

20. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

06de9373-3ce6-4cd8-8047-5d2b6ca70252_zpsaqta9hjv.JPG You can see My idea of an awning. Its a 19x29 tarp from HF the poles are Cabella's 1' Timber spikes for stakes. I run ropes over the pup tied off to the far side before I raise the roof. This setup give us a lg outdoor living rm Rain or shine for under $100.