Just fixed my roof and ready to camp!

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by rvanderwerf, Aug 17, 2017.

1. rvanderwerf

rvanderwerf Member

Jul 20, 2017
    Fixed my roof this past weekend and ready for camping! My roof was't terrible the deepest cracks where in the corners and along the awning area and a few micro cracks on top, especially on the side where the awning is. I'm not going to put it back and it seems that's a source of the issues and just bring a 10x10 instant up shelter with me. The process was pretty easy once I got real abs pellets off amazon. The airsoft bbs I tried from academy like recommended on the popup princess blog never melted for me, they must be made of something else (they just sort of turned into gravel). The MEK melted my pellets in just a few hours into a calk-like consistency. I'm new to painting bedliner and it shows but the Grizzly Grip over my repairs should hold up for many years to come! I had enough grizzly left over to do the AC cover and the front plastic cover as well. If you buy it pre-mixed it only lasts for 30 days anyways. This is a 2002 coleman santa fe.
    popup-roof1.jpg popup-roof1.jpg popup-roof2.jpg popup-roof-prerepair.jpg melted-mek-abs-pellets.jpg popup-front.jpg

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Nice job!

rvanderwerf likes this.
  3. mackleon

mackleon New Member

Aug 30, 2017
    You have done a great job, repairing the roof without the help of roof repair contractor is really commendable.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    That is a nice looking job and should last for awhile, as far as removing the awning the 10 X 10 shelter should work even better and be easier to set up and break down. I hope You enjoy the fruits of your labor for many camping trips. Good Luck and Happy camping

5. Sammy Girl

Sammy Girl New Member

Sep 27, 2016
    I think it looks GREAT! We have a 1996 Coleman Sea Pine, and the ABS roof is doing the exact same thing that yours is: deeper cracks on the rounded corners and a LOT of micro cracks under the awning. However, I tried to fix it myself a couple of years ago using silicon caulk , and now I have a real mess [;{}]. Any suggestions on the quickest and most effective way to remove all of the caulk? Also, on the popupprincess site, some people suggested removing the entire ABS roof and recovering roof with several coats of Grizzly Grip. Any suggestions or feedback?

6. rvanderwerf

rvanderwerf Member

Jul 20, 2017
    you could rub it down with MEK or just sand it with scrubby pads, I used these.. but removing caulk isn't fun. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NH9YBXY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1