Just got a "new" 86' Coleman Columbia...lots a remodel ahead but first need to get it home

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Mikey Mike, Mar 14, 2019 at 10:26 AM.

1. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike New Member

Like I said, i need to get the camper home first...currently has 20.5 x 8 tires...both are flat or course. I am going to put on 4.8 x 12. All I am hoping for this weekend is to get it home, step one in a full restoration...

megcabra, 1380ken and Buckmaster81 like this.
  2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota! Good luck on your project!

3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Make sure the weight rating of the tires will support the weight of the camper.

4. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike New Member

I will hopefully have it up in MN next year! I am working on it in florida so next summer is realistic for my annual road trip. I will post some pictures so you can see the extent needed on this reno.

BikeNFish likes this.
  5. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike New Member

I have. I am using a C size which goes up to 1700ish pounds...well over the gross weight of my camper (last i looked it up i was just under 1000 lbs weight). I upload photos as i get this thing into my yard/workspace.

6. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

7. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike New Member

Just followed it...already getting ideas. I know i will do a full rip out and add its own 12V system to it along with installed a/c (shore power) and sink. i will get rid of the stove as i already have a coleman i will bring. Looking forward to getting it all started.

8. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike New Member

Tires are purchased and when i get home today i am going to head over and attempt to get the thing moved...im considering it my first road trip...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike New Member

Update. The camper is has made it in my yard. After about 30 min of loosing the lugs (impact wrench needed) and jacking up the trailer (i had to dig out the old tires and cut some tree roots) i was able to get on the upgraded 12 inch tires on (from 8 inch). Note: no clearence issues with the tow to my house. The bearings surprisingly spun well though i will repack at a later time. I pressure sprayed the outside and bug bombed also...next weekend i will raise it up and remove the curtains for cleaning and begin the fun demo. Eventually I will be able to get some pictures posted on here for reference.

Sjm9911 and BikeNFish like this.