Just when you think you've seen it all !!

Discussion in 'Off The Wall Campers' started by natty bumppo, May 2, 2014.

1. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    In cities they make sense. In accidents your max speed is only 35 mpg, maybe 50.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

2. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Aug 20, 2007
    Western MA
    I wouldn't trust that car being safe at 20MPH let alone 35 or 50! [B)]

3. Heritage

Heritage New Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Actually they don't even really get that great of mileage. Not worth it in my opinion.

4. gruss

gruss Active Member

May 6, 2014
    I hear them daily, because I guess the owners think they need to let them idle in the driveway for 45 minutes (with the occasional throttle blip of course) every day whether they go anywhere or not.

If my almost 20 yr old Honda only needs 2 minutes to get fully off the choke I'm not seeing the reason for this behavior [;)]

5. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    In Europe they call those smart cars back-pack cars. Also Smart car makes a sporty coupe sold only in Europe neat looking I still wouldn't have one!!

6. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Enjoyed the Harley chit-chat. My first, and only, Harley was a beside the tank stick shifter with a foot clutch. On that machine it was fill the oil and check the gas. Had its own way of marking its territory.

7. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Active Member

May 29, 2016
    Mt. Wachusett area, MA
    The fronts and rears are different. Same diameter, but the width and hub off-set / back space are wider for the rear. It's one of the few cars with a wider rear track width than the front. As I recall it had to do with an emergency lane change / avoidance test for the European market and the car rolling like a Suzuki Samurai or first gen Ford Explorer. The wider rear allowed the car to pass the test.

The name "Smart" was a mash-up of Swatch, Mercedes, and art. Swatch designed it and M-B built it. Swatch later dropped out and M-B continued.

Fuel economy surprisingly isn't all that good, about 38 mpg with the gasoline 1 liter, although the 1 liter CDI diesel does get closer to 80. Pity that Mercedes hasn't bothered to certify the diesel for the US market or I'd probably have one. I've test driven them and can see the appeal in some markets, but there are too many cars better suited to my preferences to 'settle' for a gasoline powered Smart.

On the plus side the depreciation rate is immense. A lightly used, year or two old, Smart Fortwo can be had for just a few thousand bucks. At that price, used ones are nearly disposable.

8. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Texas
    Accident ratings can be fudged and paid for now-a-days especially when it comes in the name of being eco friendly. I know this is an extraordinary tragedy, but a slightly larger car with a real frame may of saved this persons life. There are other examples on the web that are not favorable as well.

Edit: Actually the example I had placed was involving a larger car and not the Smart. So I stand corrected for believing the accident involved a Smart car. Also, there are aspects of crash safety that the car does really well in for its size, but there are areas still that not surprisingly, it sucks at.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017