Kankakee River State Park

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by CampQuinn, Jul 10, 2013.

1. CampQuinn

CampQuinn New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Hello!

I just wanted to leave a review of Kankakee River State Park. This park is really beautiful and has a great walking/bicycling trail that follows the river and crosses a suspension bridge. The campround is pretty nice. The sites are all very secluded and most have trees on both sides and behind you so you really only see the person across from you. We stayed in the Hawthorne Loop, site 23 of the Potawatami campground. Sites had electric, but water was not available at the campside. There was a commual tap between some campsites. The roads are pretty tight in this camground so most of the larger campers are forced to go to the other campground in the park. The bathrooms and showers were clean and had hot water.

If you are in the area, about an hour away from Kankakee River State Park is Starved Rock State Park and Matthiessen State Park. Both have amazing hiking trails that boast seasonal waterfalls and beautiful rock formations. These parks are quite amazing and not to be missed.

Pictures of Starved Rock State Park Hiking, click on link below:

http://inspiredbyhue.wordpress.com/2013/06/02/northern-illinois-weekend-trip-starved-rock-state-park/

Overall a great trip (besides the rain) LOL!

2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    may try this campground out, how far is it from bartlett ill

3. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Clinton, Illinois
    Thanks for giving a review of the park. Do you have any photos of Kankakee Campground?

4. CampQuinn

CampQuinn New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    From a google search it looks like it is 1.5 hours for Barlett.

Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures from the campground...what was I thinking!?

This was only our second time out with our PUP so from now on I will remember to take pictures of the actual campground!

5. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Wondering if anyone has heard updates on the campground refurbishment that's happening at Kankakee River SP? ReserveAmerica said it was undergoing refurbishment in 2017 and would be closed. Really hoping it will be all new and ready to go this summer. This is the closest SP for me and would love to get down there for a weekend.

6. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Feb 6, 2018
    I also am really close and looked it up. I think they are done. I was going to take a ride by and see if I could get a view

prop630 likes this.
  7. CamperChrissy

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Awesome, let me know what you see. Maybe they are waiting to turn the water on in the spring first to make sure no pipes burst over the winter!

Ladiesman likes this.
  8. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Feb 6, 2018
    I will take a ride by there this coming weekend.

9. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Has anyone heard if they will ever open?

10. CamperChrissy

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Oh no! Just found this on the DNR website:

"Update 3/5/18: Potawatomi Campground, classified as Class A (showers and electricity), has 110 sites and two Rent-a-Cabins in a wooded setting, is closed for the 2018 season for an improvement project"

I'm so bummed, was looking forward to a nice, new state park campground near home. [:!]

Potawatomi is the electric campground with showerhouse. They also have the Chippewa campground which is no hook-ups, pit toilets, some water pumps. Site didn't mention anything about that one, for our primitive campers.