Kayak Rack Made out of PVC

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by KowanKamper, May 3, 2017.

1. KowanKamper

KowanKamper New Member

May 3, 2017
    Northern California
    I saw a few old threads on this subject, but none of the links to see pictures actually worked anymore. We just bought a 1997 Jayco 1006. We have four kayaks that we would like to carry on top. My husband is concerned about putting holes in the roof and would like to try to fashion something else. We have a Yukon Denali and it is possible to get the kayaks on top of it, but it really is a pain. We have a kayak dolly to use to get the kayaks to the water, so having to transport them once we are at camp is not usually an issue. Does anyone have any ideas or pictures of kayak racks that were built out of PVC? Thank you so much!

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    We simply use the foam car pads on the roof of the pup and strap them down. Works well if you are only carrying two. No AC on our camper to get in the way., and the vent is centered on the roof. Not sure how it would work with AC.

KowanKamper likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Like eoleson1 I used foam blocks once too. It worked, but I was always nervous about how tight I tied it down. I also had trouble tieing the bow line without interfering with everything on the tongue and still be usable to prevent an accident. Then again my kayak hung over in the front a little so that limited my options.

KowanKamper likes this.
  4. TheDuke

TheDuke Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Southern MN
    I just got a 12' kayak and plan on putting it on top of the popup with foam noodles under and ratcheting straps to secure. I will probably tether the front too. That's my plan, haven't tried it, but I'm sure it will be fine.

KowanKamper likes this.