KEEPING THE COOLER COOL

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Thox Spuddy, Nov 8, 2018 at 11:24 AM.

1. Thox Spuddy

Thox Spuddy Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Wisconsin
    An inner liner of foil-faced bubblewrap insulation with styrofoam partitions has extended the cooling in our Ozark Trail cooler. CIMG0355.JPG CIMG0356.JPG CIMG0366.JPG

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Been there, done that, didn't really work too well for all the effort I put into making one like this.

What worked better was to put it on the outside to reflect the Sunlight. Better to get a PopUpGizmo Ice Chest/Cooler Cover.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I did that same thing for our trip to Utah this past July. While it worked OK, it's just to dang hot in July to be effective. We will upgrade to a Yeti type cooler before we go back.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We did very well with a foam and Reflectix jacket instead of dealing with it wet inside the cooler.

5. Thox Spuddy

Thox Spuddy Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I also have a Reflectix jacket with that pink foam on top over which I placed a wet towel. Not sure if the wet towel helped at all. The bottom of the cooler is filled with frozen water plastic bottles, but take up too much room.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I did the same for my cooler in addition to the outside cooler Gizmo. I've managed to get my ice to last 4 days give or take even sitting in a stifling hot car. My cooler doesn't sit in the sun, but it sits in a closed up car so you can imagine how hot it can get up to. I couldn't afford the yeti cooler so with a cheap coleman cooler I managed to extend the life of my ice. What also helps is only going in the cooler once a day. Even still have frozen meat after day 3.
    Got to love the reflectix. I use that stuff for everything now. Even used it to keep a hot dish hot while I attended a picnic an hour away from home.

7. Thox Spuddy

Thox Spuddy Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Reflectix really does work, I taped my envelope together with aluminum tape. For the outside I've found most effective is to simply keep the cooler out of the sun and not enclosed in a jacket which I'm guessing collects heat. I vacuum seal any frozen food that goes into the cooler and will experiment with using bubblewrap mailing envelopes, all plastic. Also another trick I heard about to try; buy a bag of ice and open it up into a plastic bag and douse it with salt and lay it on top of the open cooler. The rapidly melting ice will drop the temperature although it will not have the longevity of slower melting ice. A trick to use if you don't have room for more ice but need to cool it.

8. gatorbait

gatorbait Upstate, SC

Jan 7, 2006
    Spartanburg, SC
    Reflectix covers really helped my coolers too. My "freezer" cooler never needs additional ice though my "fridge" cooler with drinks will because it's opened often. I use the Coleman marine extreme coolers and they leak air around the lid. The covers made a big difference. My last trip the raccoons couldn't figure out how to get in them. They ripped one corner and gave up lol.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    i used duck tape, but found after a couple trips the tape just peeled off especially where it was constantly sitting in melt water. Luckily on mine it was only the smaller sides that were taped so just now lay it in there held in by force. After a trip I clean the cooler and hang the jacket up outside in the sun for a day. Hadn't had any problems.
    I use ice blocks in containers mixed in with regular cube ice and keeping food in the vacuume packs keeps the melt water fairly clean. I did find that sometimes the ice refroze and attached itself to the vacuume sealed bags. As my vacuume bags have a texture. So now use a regular ziplock bag to hold all the vacuume packed food together. The smoother surface of the ziplock bag helped keep the ice from freezing onto the bag itself. So now I don't take half the ice with me as I grab my food, or an accidental ripping of the bag. The biggest difference I found was just keeping air from getting in too often and making sure there isn't a lot of air pockets it between the ice. The best way to keep things frozen is less air in between.

10. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    All good tips on here! I haven't used Reflectix yet, but the best tip I've tried to to pre-cool the cooler overnight before packing it. I just put a couple ice packs in the night before to get it down to temp.

11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I noticed that putting a towel over cooler also work but probably not as good as Gizmo.