Last trip of the 2016 season

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by silvermickey2002, Nov 15, 2016.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Well, we took our last trip of the season to Mill Bridge Village Resort in Ronks, PA. This is an annual trip we take each year during Teachers Convention (November in NJ). This is mostly a shopping trip we take with good friends of ours and their kids. We got into the campground on Thursday about 3:30 and after we setup we start to cook dinner and enjoy the evening by the fire. We hit the Green Dragon market on Friday and then the Shady Maple buffet for Friday dinner. Saturday we hit the Kitchen Kettle Village in Lancaster. We always like to get our jelly there. We then went to the Shady Maple Market to pickup some stuff to make for dinner. We cooked breakfast at the campground each morning. Mind you, we had to have a campfire each morning to keep warm while cooking and eating. I kid you not, we went thru at least 5-6 wheelbarrow loads of firewood we brought with us. As soon as that sun went down it got cold [:O]

Now, I was very glad I winterized the pup before we went. The temp on Saturday morning was 26 degrees (F) and 23 degrees Sunday morning. There were two 5'ers that I heard complaining that they had some pipes freezing. Our friends had their water hooked up, but their motor-home has an arctic package and all pipes are insulated. We usually run the ceramic heater before bedtime to get the chill off. But this time it got cold really quick and below freezing by about 9:00 PM. I had to run the furnace to keep it at about 55 degrees (I did shut off the ceramic heater when I turned the furnace on). Then I shut it off when we got into bed. We had a fleece blanket and two sleeping bags on top for blankets. I also placed two sleeping bag pads under the mattress for some insulation. The DW asked about a heated mattress pad, I gave her the look of "Really do we really need that for the 1-2 trips a year?" [LOL]

All in all we had a really great time! Spending it with friends makes the trip even better! We were amazed how much food stuff we had purchased to bring home. Like Amish smoked bacon, jelly, meat sticks, Amish butter and sauces. We also got some Christmas shopping done. [A]

Now the pup is in the driveway setup. Need to finish cleaning it out and give a good cleaning inside before closing it up for the winter and placing it in the garage for a long winters nap!!!! [:(]

2. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    sounds like an awesome trip.. :)

3. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Well, here we go again! Same trip as last year with friends!! Same CG and got the same sites. Still sad it's the last trip of the season. We did not get out camping after our Father's Day trip. Hopefully it's a little warmer this year for this trip.

bob barnes likes this.
  4. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    are you in Lancaster pa? if so what a great place!!

5. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    The campground is actually in Ronks, PA. It's a great location, 10-20 minutes from everything we like to do (Green Dragon market, Shady Maples Buffet and Supermarket, Kitchen Kettle Village, local shopping in the area). It's a fun weekend that we always look forward to with our friends each year.

6. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    Sounds like a great trip. I can't believe it got that cold though.....crazy! You may want to re-think the mattress pad idea though. We have one and we camp into late September with the pad and electric fan/heater combo......although we have never gone below freezing. When you're cold and you crawl into bed with the mattress pad on earlier it's fantastic! And you there are 5 heat settings so you can leave it on low throughout the night. Sometimes (and we hate to admit it.....wink wink) the wives have good ideas!

7. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    We did 20d snow, sleet and big wind in Ks last year we used our wave 3 heater we went from 20d to 96d of course no heater needed then!! I don't know what buffet we ate at in Lancaster but it was fantastic they even had homade cheeses!!! Roast beef to die for!!

8. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Using the sleeping bag pads actually works very well. It's just enough insulation between the wood and the mattress. This year though I think I will be getting the pink insulation board (either 1/4 or 1/2 inch) to keep under the mattresses.

@bob barnes, sounds like you ate at Shady Maples! They have great roast beef and lots of homemade desserts!!!

bob barnes likes this.
  9. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    I went back there but I couldn't find it are they closed sunday?

10. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Well, if it was Shady Maples then it's not a place you can miss!! It' huge! But yes, they are closed on Sundays, It's Amish country!!

bob barnes likes this.