Learn From Me! Check Your Tires or You Are At Risk!

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by BikeNFish, May 8, 2018.

1. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    My pup tires were manufactured in 2013 and had a highway speed rating of 62 mph so I decided to replace them with a little beefier tires that have a 81 mph rating.

While I was at it, I figured that I may as well do the same with the boat trailer since they were identical size with a 65 mph rating. I figured that the tires on the boat trailer weren't due to be replaced until next year at the earliest since I just replaced them in 2014. I was also considering that they get beat up on the Canadian logging roads when I take my yearly fishing trips across the boarder. I also though it would be nice to have a higher rated tire and that I could use the old tires as the spare tires on both the pup and on the boat trailer so they wouldn't be "wasted" being fairly new.

I removed the boat trailer tires and rims and brought them in to have the new tires put on. I also grabbed the spare tires off of both the trailer to have the old tires put on the spares.

When I was unloading the tires from the back of the truck, I saw that one of them was missing a large chunk of tread about six inches long and two inches wide and the hole that remained was well worn right down through the first layer of steel belts. This was a disaster waiting to happen.

I have no idea when the tread had come off, but by the looks of the wear, I had been using them long after the damage was done. I was VERY lucky that the tire had held up as long as it did.

Here is where you can learn from my mistake:

CHECK YOUR TIRES. Check them on a regular basis and don't assume that because they are new or fairly new that they are good to go.

I got lucky. VERY lucky.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    MaeKay, nineoaks2004, Orchid and 5 others like this.
  2. myride

myride Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Sound advise indeed.

3. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I had a similar experience on my boat trailer. Mary and I were loading up to go fishing and I noticed a chunk missing from the tread of one of the tires.

We fished from the bank that night. [:)C]

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    I check my tires before every trip!

5. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Active Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Better advice couldn't be given. From what I've read this is the most common problem with all RV's on the road whether it be MH, trailer or PUP. As an owner of 4 trailers, a 16' flat bed construction, 8' cargo, 10' tilt bed motorcycle trailer and 12' PUP, I concur emphatically. I can tell you some real horror stories from first hands experience. Thanks for the reminder as I need to pinch myself and check out the ones on my new PUP too.

6. justincdst

justincdst Member

May 20, 2016
    so just read this being fairly new to trailers always being a ground dweller, and was going to go do my bearings for the year and yeah all three (one spare) of my tires span between 10-15 years old, guess Im going to the tire shop now!

Garrity likes this.
  7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Great advice! I replace our tires every five years, regardless of how good they look. The bearings get greased and get new cotter pins every year.

Prior to every trip, I do a complete visual inspection and check air in both trailer and tow vehicle tires. A blow out is something I really fear, so do my best to avoid one.

Garrity likes this.
  8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I just put 4 new tires on my 16' utility trailer, I ordered them from Wally World and made sure they were ST tires they also have an 81 mph which I will never do anyway. I always check the air in the TV and the TT or any other trailer I am pulling, including the spare, I also check the torque
    on the wheel lugs and I check the tires over really good. Thanks for reminding me tho.
    I am glad you got off really lucky as these days a tire doesn't go flat it shreds and usualyl tears up something else too. Good Luck and Keep On Camping

BikeNFish likes this.
  9. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Member

Mar 7, 2018
    When I bought our 2009 pop-up, the previous owner said that he had the tires checked out and they were good. I gave a quick visual inspection and they was a lot of thread and no read dry rot visible. We did a 90 mile round trip camping trip in it and when we got home, there was about a 9" piece of the thread that was gone. I found out that the tires were the original tires and were manufactured in 2008. They were 10 years old. I quickly ordered new wheels

10. rich2

rich2 Active Member

May 3, 2007
    Northampton, PA
    I bought a '65 Cox Campsquire, I had been looking for the right one for almost twenty years or so. Saw one in a persons backyard after having to detour off the main road due to construction. After talking to the gentleman who owned it, I found out he was the second owner who recently bought from a guy who brought it with him from Arizona. After agreeing on a price it was mine, but I had to take it with me, luckily I had my draw bar with the right size ball, quick walk around everything looked good. Towed it home, about an hour and half away. Few days later I went to check the bearings and found the date code on the tires 1965...towed it home on 52 year old tires, although the outside looked good, the inside sidewalls looked super bad. All around I got super lucky with this camper...

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    They don't build tires like they used to. Dad built a utility trailer on an old station wagon axle in the 60's. Hauled his brick laying equipment in it on the weekends. Sand, mortar, box, boards, and scaffolds. I think it had one tire replaced, that I remember. It sits under the shed now.

12. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo

You ain't far off. I work for a place that has been in business for over 100 years. We still have equipment running on 50+ year old tires! We even have some new tires in the tire room from the 40's! And I wouldn't hesitate to use them.