Leaving pup up

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Tennessee Tom, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Lincoln County Tennessee
    The service tech. at my RV dealer owns a pup similar to mine.He said he keeps his pup open all the time. I thought this would be a great time saver for getting ready for next trip, but I would have concerns for weather damage. My pup is under a designated RV cover. Everyone's thoughts and comments would be appreciated. ( By the way I would consider opening indefinitely only during camping season.)

Tenn Tom
    2002 E150 Van
    2018 Flagstaff MAC 228

2. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    My vote is to not leave it up for an extended period of time. You're exposing your canvas to the elements and UV light. Also the roof will only be supported at 4 points as opposed to resting around the entire base. I think you are far better off keeping it under a cover. I have no evidence showing that open all the time is bad... just my 2 cents.

theseus and xxxapache like this.
  3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I agree

4. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    X3
    I think the constant UV light would be really bad for the canvas.

5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I once left it open for 4 months. That was because I was living in the popup. I did not pay attention to the damage done by long term "camping".

shuang2 likes this.
  6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    I agree with all the above reasons for not leaving your camper open all the time.

7. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Yes, NOT leaving your camper all the time, unless you are camping in it! We leave our popup aframe camper up on our driveway all year around, as long as we are home.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    If your camper was in a barn or something to block the UV Ray's on the canvas I think it will be ok as long as you you know you won't have critters getting in. Otherwise the sun can do a number on the canvas and you would also need to be concerned about critters getting in. I do know a number of people that keep it open for a few weeks, but they are working in it a little bit every day.

9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I have a neighbor down the road that left his pup up most of the summer and into the fall and the canvas was noticeably deteriorated and dirty over that time span. It appeared that there was some damage to one of the roof corners so maybe that is why he didn't shut it.

Even if canvas degradation wasn't an issue, keeping the canvas clean would be.

10. J Starsky

J Starsky Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Tarp over the canvas if you really need it up all year. Some poles and tie outs and you're golden. Like a rainfly, only bigger.