LED's - New Bulbs or New Fixtures?

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by Mamabear21, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Mamabear21

Mamabear21 New Member

I swear I searched for this topic and I either need more practice searching or it just hasn't been posted before. I am sure it's the former...

Anyway, I would like to convert our lighting to LED and I am seeing that some just replace the bulbs with varying results and some get totally new fixtures. I realize that replacing fixtures is a bit more expensive but I want to do things right. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Eaither way, 6 of 1 half dozen of the other. Im going to get bulbs. Eaisier.

3. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

I've done both. Super helpful, huh? :D

4. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

We replaced our lights with LED lights that are battery operated. I have rechargeable batteries in them. They work great and turn on and off with a wireless switch. They are much brighter than what was originally in the pup. When my dh put them up they covered up where the old fixture was and you wouldn't know they weren't original.

5. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Usually just replace the bulbs.. The new led fixtures sometimes have leds that aren't replaceable believe it or not. Just try to buy decent quality led bulbs. I've also learned that polarity is important! Good luck

6. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

I've just changed just the bulbs in both of my trailers. You can get expensive bulbs or cheap bulbs (Amazon), I've got a mixture of both, and have yet to see a performance difference. If there is nothing wrong with the fixture, it wll be cheaper and less labor intensive to just replace the bulbs.

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I also just changed the bulbs in my TT. It was faster, cheaper and easier
    Good Luck and Happy camping

8. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Member

replaced with 5W bulbs (LED), but now moving up to 7W bulbs (LED)

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I just replaced my bulbs. I bought some cheap knock offs from Amazon only to find they burned out the second I put them in. My dad suggested I try Auto zone and sure enough they had what I needed. Had them up for a whole season and glad I bought them. Way less battery usage and the lights much cooler to touch. My light fixtures were not broken and the plastic cover only slightly scuffed so felt I didn't need to go all out. Now if you have a certain scheme going on and was trying to beautify the camper, then go for it. No right or wrong way. I'm always of the mind, why fix what's not broke.

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I bought cheap bulbs from eBay for about $1.50 each 4 years ago. If I recall correctly my TT has 18 bulbs. None have quit working.

11. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I just swapped out the bulbs.

WingmanHG likes this.
  12. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

I swapped the bulbs to SMD LEDs that I got on ebay. For $10 I got enough for the whole trailer and a couple of spares. I was happy with my existing fixtures. That was 4 years ago and it is all good. I like the flat SMDs for the applications like the ceiling lights, plenty of light.

13. Mamabear21

Mamabear21 New Member

Thank you so much for all of the responses! My initial thought was just getting the bulbs. Then I kept reading and found some articles/blogs where they replaced the fixtures with ones that had a switch that would allow for 1 or both lights to be on and had a dimmer as well. I was just wondering how well the LED bulbs would work in the existing fixtures. It sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. [:D]

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Bulbs.. bought off Ebay and shipped from China..

15. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I replaced the fixtures, so I could control the light output. I have the old fixtures, if someone wants to pay shipping

16. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

I bought LEDs last summer at a flea market,and am happy. Cheap,and light everything up very well. We normally don’t use the ceiling fixtures,but can now without having to worry about power consumption. Most of out lighting is with smaller portable LED lights.

17. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

Same here, just changed the bulbs to led's

18. darrenandmelissa

darrenandmelissa Member

19. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I replaced the bulbs in my '14 and they worked great! Actually I have a bunch of 1156 style (and I think several others) left over if anyone around the Fox Valley - WI area wants them!