Leveling blocks and chocking

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by jm88, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    When I bought my PUP I got some cheap rubber chocks from Harbor Freight. They worked well enough but my birthday present to myself this year was a BAL wheel chock that I will be trying out. I heard too may good things about it, and the regular chocks do take up a lot of space compared to the BAL.

I use the BAL leveler. I thought about the Anderson but I do a lot of camping solo or with my son and the Anderson is much more of a two person one than the BAL. I like being able to drop the trailer and slide the BAL in and fine tune it. I can also tweak the height a little to assist in directing the AC runoff to the street side of the trailer. Biggest drawback is the BAL takes up a lot of room, but overall that is a trade off I am willing to live with considering the benefit.

2. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

Jun 24, 2011
    Northern California
    You have no idea! Stall mats are HEAVY. For the same amount of space a stack of Lynx blocks take, stall mats would weigh in around 25-30 pounds!

The Lynx blocks are soooo much lighter than pieces of 2x6. If I were to buy the Anderson leveler, I go with at least one pack of Lynx. You would always have them if you need them and when you don't, you weren't hauling a lot of weight. Plus, they stay nice and neat in their little carry bag.

3. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Mar 25, 2009
    New Hampshire

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The Lynx blocks, whether they are your only means of leveling or you use them in addition to a BAL or Anderson leveler, have some advantages over wood, etc. Other brands of similar blocks may do as well, but we've only had the Lynx. Our first set is 7 years old.
    They are lighter than wood or stall mats (from what the comments on stall mats have been - I've only seen the whole mat in a stack outside a store and that looked hefty.)
    They do not splinter or absorb water as wood does. If they acquire mold or mildew in damp climates if used long term, I can't say. We've used ours over a winter or two, but our climate is on the arid side of things.
    They stack well, and store in their bags. None of our blocks has worn out in up to 7 years of use, though we wore through a couple of the bags by the beginning of this season. Bought new from Lynx, by the time I bought the supplies if was worth it to me not to have to reinvent the bag and sew new ones myself.) A few that were used over the winter or other longer term use have faded a bit.

5. jm88

jm88 Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Well, I sure am easily convinced! I am back to where I started thinking it would be good to get a set of Lynx. And would probably get an Anderson or BAL leveler eventually anyways but I am really leaning toward the Anderson now. Plus the Anderson and the Lynx blocks would come to the same price as the BAL leveler. I mean what's an extra $30 here and $40 there? It's stuff that will last forever and will be useful. And since I got my PUP for free, I don't mind spending some money. I just don't like spending it on things that are not going to be used but this sounds like it will have many uses.

6. TRR

TRR Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Alabama USA
    One caution with the Anderson leveler: If the ground and your tires are wet, the Anderson leveler likes to squirt out from under the wheel as you're pulling onto it. I bought a stick-on step mat (like coarse self-stick sandpaper) and stuck it to the tire-side of the leveler to give it some grip against the tire.

7. jm88

jm88 Member

Feb 12, 2017
    I just happened to see one of those ads pop up for Lynx levelers at Amazon since I had viewed them recently. While those ads are typically annoying, I am glad this did because for some reason they were $18 for the 10 pack so I ordered one. I see they are back up to 28 now. Guess I should have ordered a couple but maybe I'll get the Anderson now too.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontaio
    I just got bag number 7 of Lynx Levelers delivered two days ago along with three of the 3 LED motion sensor lights and one of their new marine lights .. Think I might an addiction .... lol

9. jm88

jm88 Member

Feb 12, 2017
    You could almost build a lego castle with that many!

10. ollodart

ollodart Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Covington, WA
    I like the Anderson levelers. They work great. I keep scrapes off wood and I have some hard tire rubber pads .. I use chocks from an old Astro van. They are metal and small and hold the wheel better than the plastic ones - I only have one leveler and chock the other side. I use the rubber pads mostly for the Stabilisiers. It has a little give on the frame and grips the ground good, in particular asphalt.

11. jm88

jm88 Member

Feb 12, 2017
    And right now Amazon has the Lynx 10 pack again for $18 in case anyone is interested. I suppose I should probably get another set. If nothing else, my kids love playing with them!

12. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Good price on the Lynx. I personally prefer the Level Trek blocks. I bought a set at a garage sale last year, and really like them. I use them strictly for the stab jacks - the spacing on the "lego" studs is much closer than the Lynx, and lets me use them as is when the ground is too far for the stab to reach. The Lynx has too much of a gap for my pad to sit comfortably which would require me to buy the caps they sell.

So far my leveling set up consists of the following:

BAL leveler
    BAL wheel chock
    4 pack Camco jack pads
    12 pack Level Trek leveling blocks
    1 Camco tongue jack wheel dock

I had it up this weekend to do some cleaning and inspections. First time I got to use the BAL wheel chock - I really like it. It seemed to have less bounce/rock than I remember from last year.

13. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    I have been using wood for awhile now. It works fine. Maybe someday I will have a bal. My biggest issue with the wood is the space it takes up. 7 packs of lynx would take up some space and cost some $$