Lift blocks for a SOA setup

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by Overland, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Overland

Overland Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Running into a few issues that I thought I had figured better..

Building a Coleman Colorado from frame up, looking to tow it behind the Grand Cherokee with a small lift. I already replaced the slipper spring setup for 1750lb 4leaf springs with a shackle and new Dexter axle bolted in spring over axle configuration. I don't think I can fit enough tire under it to use the Jeep wheels I had machined for the Dexter hubs. I'd like to stick with these 15x8 wheels as they match the Jeep.. I'd like a 235/75ish tire.. Jeep runs on 31's.

Typically i'd find a set of lowering/lift blocks and call it a day... until I opt for a better suspension in the future. Problem i'm having is I cant find blocks in a 1.75" width and 1-2" tall reasonably priced. $75 to $150 is silly..

Ordering 2" wide blocks and narrowing with a grinder on sides doesn't appear viable either as most blocks are aluminum with voids nowadays.

If I opt for just using square tubing and grade8 hex head bolts, what thickness tubing for a trailer coming in around 1500lb max?

1.75" aluminum/steel bar stock? Online?

Appreciate input..

2. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

Nov 3, 2017
    If you have the ability I would try to use a set of Cherokee springs for the trailer. Calculate the spring sag with the weight of your trailer and make or buy new hangers, shackles, and hardware to obtain the tire clearance you need. If you are set on lift blocks and can't find them in 1.75 than I would use 1/4 inch wall thickness tube

Psifanboy and Overland like this.
  3. Toy(Yota)

Toy(Yota) New Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Why can’t you just use 2x3 tube or some kind of steel for a block instead of aluminum? Drill a hole in each end.

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I would guess that something has been done by now?

5. Toy(Yota)

Toy(Yota) New Member

Sep 10, 2018
    You never know, people work slow!

Also I didn’t even notice the date of the original post [:D]

6. Overland

Overland Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Cant use a 2x3 tube in a 1.75" space..

I found some 3/8"x1.75" strap that will be stacked to desired height. Just need to find the time to get it done. Soon..

J Starsky likes this.
  7. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    I'd stop by your local steel yard. Some many issues I've had were solved by talking with someone that owns stock [LOL][LOL][LOL][LOL]

Overland likes this.
  8. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Could you drill 1.75 holes spaced across the 2inch stock? So that ubolts run thru your life block, instead of outside?

Or, walk a junkyard for blocks you find in rear axle applications - they'd cut out what you want. Might even find it in the axle pile?

Happy hunting!

9. Toy(Yota)

Toy(Yota) New Member

Sep 10, 2018
    In the past I’ve notched out the block so the u bolts fit around it. Depends what kinda tools you’re working with though.
    If you tied the peices together though I don’t see a problem. These trailers are light and not abused like a utility or equipment trailer might be

J Starsky likes this.
  10. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Local spring shop could make new springs that would include the extra lift desired...just tell them the distance eye to eye, weight of the pup, and desired ride hight.

J Starsky likes this.
  11. Overland

Overland Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Suspension and 3500# axle are new.. 225's mounted. Just need a bit more room for them, the strap will work fine..

225oncolorado.jpg

12. Toy(Yota)

Toy(Yota) New Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Looks awesome! It’ll be cool when they match the tow rig.
    I need to the same thing and get some adapters to 6x5.5 so I can run a Toyota bolt pattern!