Lift spring bent juuuust a little bit

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by MikeRule, Feb 12, 2018.

1. MikeRule

MikeRule New Member

Nov 19, 2017
    South Shore, MA
    Howdy!

Interested in opinions on the state of one of my lift springs. Certainly not the worst I could imagine, but I don't know what the tolerance of these systems is...

As removed:
    lift spring bent.jpg

After a visit to my favorite vice:
    lift spring bent less.jpg
    Better, but there is still clearly a weak spot that might be a repeat bender. Replace, or save the $$ for the next surprise finding in this revamp?

Thanks! Mike

2. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Yeah, I think you will get away with that.
    Turn it around so the kink is in the main tube, the good straight end feeds into your lift post. I think it will be just fine.
    Certainly worth giving it a go, nothing at all to lose at this point!

BelchFire likes this.
  3. MikeRule

MikeRule New Member

Nov 19, 2017
    South Shore, MA
    OK, thank you for the input, I appreciate it.

4. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    I agree; I would turn it around and not worry about it. Should be OK unless there's another problem that made it bend in the first place. If that's the case, you're just going to have to do this again. Any reason why it bent in the first place?

5. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Would think it won't matter; however, why not just order a new spring? Can't be that expensive I wouldn't think. A double spring setup for a goshen lift are only about $60.

6. MikeRule

MikeRule New Member

Nov 19, 2017
    South Shore, MA
    Oh, there might be a reason or two...

front left corner.jpg

So, this is how I purchased it - the PO wasn't great at troubleshooting. I'm actually surprised the spring wasn't worse. But everything around it is in tough shape. You can't see the bend in the track which is significant; the elbow and the lift spring suffered minor damage in this calamity.

front left cabling 1.jpg

eyebolt mess.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  7. MikeRule

MikeRule New Member

Nov 19, 2017
    South Shore, MA
    Fair point, but given all the other parts this PUP needs just for the lift system, never mind the floor repairs in both the main cabin and popout, then a roof rebuild, I'm looking to save where I can.