Lift System Help

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Lorabella, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Lorabella

Lorabella New Member

Aug 27, 2017
    I have a 2004 Starcraft Centennial popup camper that I just busted the winch cable on. I'm new to campers and wanting to get a feel for the difficulty level of replacing this myself?

Thanks in advance,
    L

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

@BikeNFish can you tag your coworker J?? I believe he can help here.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hey, J Starsky! You have a request!

J Starsky likes this.
  4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    Buy the correct cable from Goshen and it is an easy fix.

J Starsky likes this.
  5. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    I also have an 04 Starcraft with a frayed lift cable that needs replacement. Contact Goshen and Claudia will help you. She's calling me back today about mine. They'll also give you instructions on how to do. Regarding difficulty, others here who have done say it's not that hard and most can do if you don't mind getting your hands dirty. https://goshenstamping.com/lift-system

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  6. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Hyde Ho! I didn't see my name 3 times, so I operate a little more like Beetlejuice. (Beetlejuice Beetlejuice)

It depends which cable snapped which and what tools and helpers you have handy. In the case of a main cable, simple - get it up, change the main cable. Mine has a whiffletree, as all 4 cables come to a main drum. Some have a main pulling 4 lay cables at once on a central mount. If a column cable snapped it's not undoable just tougher. You'll need to get it up, but hook or by crook and extract the cable. You may be lucky and be able to order yours, or a boat shop or RV center can shorten the longer one you order. First, get a book for your unit, probably by sending an email to manufacturer.

jnc likes this.