Light 3-Bunk Hybrid Towable By SUV?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by JunkyBurrittos, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Rinstah

Rinstah New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We were looking at purchasing a 7 passenger SUV and we looked at a Sportmen 180RBT with three bunks. It was roomy enough for The five of us and slept 8 in a crunch. The dry weight was roughly 3200lbs.

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Dry weight? ahhhh I understand that its all new for you. Ignore dry weight and look at the GVRW instead. That will give you the idea which Tow Vehicle can tow the Sportmen.

3. Rinstah

Rinstah New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The GVRW is 4,500lbs.

4. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    Perfect use this valuable information. Now that means that you need a full size SUV like Tahoe, Suburban, Expedition or such... to pull that camper comfortably with your passengers and stuff. Although my Explorer can tow up to 5,000 lbs but I would not allow this to happen. it would be too close to my comfort.

Snow likes this.
  5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    SUV , specially anything less then the ones Halford mentioned above and towing DO NOT go hand in hand and is a very very bad idea..Specially if you want to tow an HTT with triple bunks.. A light weight 8ft box pup with two double beds... maybe.. but an HTT.. No Way...

6. chartle

chartle New Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Pgh, PA
    We looked at a KZ 1801BH with 3 beds that are not something else like a table with a slide out dinette. Our issue was the weight on the lot was 200lbs higher than the weight online and in the brochure and only left us with about 450 of cargo capacity. So we got the 180BH with no slide out and about 700 lbs of cargo capacity. We pull it with a Jeep Cherokee with a 4,500 lb tow limit and the only issue we have is poor gas mileage. A trip that we can get 30 we get 12.1 towing. :(

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  7. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Bite the bullet and upgrade your tow vehicle too. Just buy a camper a couple years older than you were planning and your total cost can be the same.

Snow likes this.
  8. VTRailroadguy

VTRailroadguy Active Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Northwestern Vermont
    This is good information, but he does not "need" a full size SUV to pull a 4500lb GVWR hybrid trailer. I pulled a KZ Spree Esape E20RBT with my Honda Ridgeline and 5 people in it comfortably over 1500 miles total last summer. The Ridgeline was built on a modified Pilot platform thus technically an SUV. With 5 persons my max tow was 4500 lbs which coincided with max weight of my trailer. Now, I never actually towed the full 4500 pounds, but I was close. I used a properly set up WDH and the trailer obviously had electric brakes. Pulled through wind and rain and never felt like the set up was squirrely. The only thing lacking was power. On long hills I was taching way up, but then again that's what Honda's do.

I will say, we replaced our Ridgeline with an F150 last November and I forget the trailer's even back there now. Halford is correct in saying a bigger vehicle will tow better, but that doesn't mean you "need" it if you stay within the recommended limits for your vehicle.

9. Halford

Sep 28, 2011

Towing near or at tow max is not comfortable to think about while towing. it was on my mind with previous Explorer on camping trips. I would say, "I hope to make it this time". But nowadays I just do not want to say "I wish that I hadn't done that".

It is true that you could tow near or up to max, but is that a good thing? Yes, it may sound expensive to upgrade to bigger SUV but it is cheaper than when the smaller SUV breaks down.

Which method would give you peace of mind while towing? Which method is the safest one to take? Which one is safe for your family? and nearby drivers?

Every time I go on camping trips, I just want vacation, not having to think about possible breakdowns or blunder while towing.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    I am assuming you weren't using a WDH with that Ridgeline?

11. JunkyBurrittos

JunkyBurrittos Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Central MA
    Hi Ruger, not sure if this was directed at me as the OP or the other person that jumped on. But as for me, nope, not happening. I only bought my TV last year in order to tow my pup, traveling quite a distance to buy exactly what I needed several states away. So if I can't safely tow with what I've got, then I wait. But I'm not sure that we've established that I'm over limit. 5200 tow limit, 4500 GVWR, and it would never be more than myself and two teenagers in the TV and I don't ever see towing a full water tank. I use a WD hitch and brake controller as well

I'm more concerned with the unknown of how my TV will handle the frontal load

I'm gathering that I could do this safely if I don't drive like a maniac, but that my gas mileage will be terrible. Not as ideal as a truck, but possible Is this accurate?

12. JunkyBurrittos

Mar 18, 2017
    Central MA

13. VTRailroadguy

VTRailroadguy Active Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Northwestern Vermont
    I sure was...and I know where you're going with this.

I spoke to Honda and did my due diligence prior to deciding to utilize a wdh.

14. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    You may have a better towing vehicle than me because my Explorer limits me to 5000 max tow weight. Now you said yours is 5200 max tow, then you seem to be in a better position than me that is if your TV has factory installed tow package. then its perfect.

JunkyBurrittos likes this.
  15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    ;) Enough said then..

16. JunkyBurrittos

Mar 18, 2017
    Central MA
    Yes, I forgot to mention I’ve got the factory installed tow package so hopefully that will help as well.

17. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    then its all GO for you!

JunkyBurrittos likes this.