Little Propane Bottles Leaking

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Orchid, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Having an ignition source is my concern. We always have a campfire, even at home we have a big fire pit near the shed. What do you consider "stored properly?" These were all stored upright inside a plastic bin with a tight fitting lid.

2. Winchested

Winchested Member

Jun 19, 2015
    There you go. Stored just fine. Propane is a low lying gas, heavier than air. Always finds the lowest possible point. If its inside a sealed container that gas won't go anywhere nor would the liquid. Therefore nothing to be scared of. Especially with a campfire nowhere near the propane.

3. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    --Over the years I too have had several new (not refilled) Coleman 1-lb bottles not properly reseal after use. Not to freakout as I've used so many the percentage of failures is inconsequential except for the flash fires[CF] - only kidding. I've gotten used to wetting my finger and placing it over the bottle 'opening' to feel for a pressure build up after disconnecting.
    --I never store propane inside my camper [2C]. When I travel, its in the back of my truck bed or the tongue of the camper. I have outdoor storage for combustibles away from my home.
    --As a supreme pessimist I've offered this before: There are only two scenarios for something that always works perfectly: it never will fail (unlikely), or it's about time for a failure.
    --I feel the same way about swimming in the ocean.

JPBar likes this.