Loaded question, but who makes the best small trailer tires?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Jeep Guy, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Mar 7, 2018
    I recently bought a 2009 Starcraft and the tires were the originals, 10 years old. I replaced them with 5.3x12 Kenda bias plys with load range C. My spare is 5 years old and I will be taking the camper out of state soon so I will replace the spare and possibly get a second spare. I think I will change to 145/R12 radial trailer tires. Since I will be getting 2 new tires, who makes the best tires? I know this is somewhat of a loaded question in that everyone has limited experience with certain brands. Are there brands to definitely stay away from? The Kenda tires that I am currently running have been on 4 camping trips so far and I have had no problems with them.

2. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

I’m looking at these 145-12” $30-$35 radials but probably not till the end of the season. The thing to really be sure of is that the date codes are fairly new. When I replaced a set on our utility trailer the tires had dates from 6 months old to almost 2 years old to pick though at the he Northern Tool store. With an online seller I’ll not have that luxury.
    https://www.tires-easy.com/145-12/v...MIhYLUmLng2wIVAdbACh3jlAsnEAQYASABEgKyvfD_BwE

Or

https://www.giga-tires.com/145-12/velocity-tires/tr088/tirecode/TR08814512D

Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  3. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Mar 7, 2018
    Looks like those are made by Wanda Tire Group in China. They may be good, I have never heard of them.

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel you need two spares?

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I don't believe there is a best.

I had the same Kenda Loadstars on my Apache for 8 years. Never a problem.

I did my homework and decided Carlisle Radial RH would work for my TT. I have had them on for 3 years. Not a problem so far.

6. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Neither had I but hopefully there will be some more reviews by the end of the season. The LoadStar 5.30-12 bias-ply tires I have now are made in China too and I’m pretty sure the Carlisle and Hi Run tires are made in China as well. Not many choices for us I’m afraid in a 12” size.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We did well with Kenda tires on our second popup and the TT. Last fall we changed to Goodyear Endurance (made in USA) for the TT, since we could upgrade from Load C to Load D. It's subtle, but the Endurance "feel" a bit better than the Kenda ones, and we had no complaints about those.

8. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    Good luck finding a non-Chinese trailer tire.

Katskamper likes this.
  9. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Maxxis

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    I have had good luck with Kendas in a 215/15 LRE

11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I put Kenda Loadstars radials on my pup last year. I did a lot of research beforehand, and decided that unless you're going to do a lot of traveling any tires are going to rot away before they wear out.

We do 90 percent of our camping at a couple lakes about 60 miles from home, but I store the camper nearby so no matter which lake we go to, the farthest tow is a few miles each way. With that in mind, I didn't see much point in spending a bunch of money on top-of-the-line tires. The Loadstars received good reviews so I took the chance. So far, I have no complaints.

I bought the Loadstars and new wheels together at Wal-Mart for about $60 each. I ordered online and had them delivered to the store. Then took them over to the tire department and had them balanced before putting them on the Pup. [:)C]

12. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    05EE040E-F16A-452C-AC16-AC2A88B7D14F.jpeg

Attached Files:

13. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Mar 7, 2018
    This fall, my wife and I are going on a camping trip that is 435 miles one way. I would hate to be in the middle of nowhere and have a flat and now have no spare. I may be overly cautious but I read posts on the Popup Camper Owners Facebook page where people had multiple blowouts during a long trip.

Glidewellr likes this.
  14. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    I saw a guy roll into a campground towing a brand new TT. I saw a spare on one side. He circled and I saw a spare on the other side. I asked about them. He said he had two blowouts on the way and had to borrow his buddies spare.

15. tfischer

We're doing a 650+ one way trip this summer... first time we've done anything remotely that long. I'm getting new tires for the trip, guess I figured that was the insurance I needed to not have a blowout lol. Only planning to bring one spare, and I hope we don't need it.

megcabra and Jeep Guy like this.
  16. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Mar 7, 2018
    Yep, that is why I want two spares on a long trip. Someone posted this week that they went camping and had a blowout and the next morning at the campsite, they noticed that the spare went flat.

Katskamper and megcabra like this.
  17. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Mar 7, 2018
    I would get radial trailer tires with a heavy load range. Radials are better for long distance traveling from what I have read.

megcabra and tfischer like this.
  18. tfischer

Kat - just curious how fast you were going when you had the blowout? Those tires are rated at 80+mph I believe so I'm not trying to blame you, just wondering.

19. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

Nov 3, 2017
    google any trailer tire brand and you will find pages about how they blowout and are junk. I try to get the highest load range and best price possible. Radials run cooler which should help with blowouts.

I think most people don't have enough air in their tires, run them into curbs and such, and run them off the shoulder of the road. I think those are the biggest tire killers more than brand.

kcsa75 and Jeep Guy like this.
  20. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    I had a blowout with a one year old tire that I had just checked the pressure in. It blew completely off the rim in less than 5 miles.