Loaded question, but who makes the best small trailer tires?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Jeep Guy, Jun 19, 2018.

1. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Agreed. I have those exact same tires (Carslisle Sport Trail) other than the size and mine are 5 years old and look like new still. As I noted above I'm still replacing them because we're doing a big trip next month and they're getting old.

As an aside, I'm planning on keeping one of my old ones for the spare. Since I'm replacing with radials, this would cause me to have one radial and one bias if I ever needed the spare. I know that's not recommended in general, but I'm assuming it's OK to limp home like that if necessary? Kind of like a compact spare on a normal car?

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    From what I've seen, right side tires have the hardest job- on vehicles and trailers. That's where most of the trash ends up, right side of the road is the first to lose pavement from washouts, curbs are closer, etc. The front wheel will kick something up and the back wheel seems to be able to catch it just right to create a puncture. I usually pull screws and nails out of my back tires.

I carry a mounted spare on a rim and a plain spare tire. Sometimes, 13" tires are not easy to find. Even 14" tires are becoming harder to find.