Lolo National Forest CG, Seeley Lake

Discussion in 'Montana' started by electronflux, Aug 29, 2012.

1. electronflux

electronflux Member

Jun 16, 2010
    The campground is one of 3 on Seeley Lake and located about 1hr north of Missoula on County rd 70 off of Hwy 83; It's a pretty popular place to go for fishing and watercraft. The CG is quite large and campsites are decently spaced apart, but not so far that you wouldn't see nearby campsites. This is a typical NF CG in that there are no hookups, multiple water points are available at not too far of a distance from any site. There are a few vault toilets in each loop with one flush type with a sink in the center of the CG. There are volunteer camp hosts during the summer, but they don't sell firewood; where Road 70 meets Hwy 83 there's a parking lot where locals who sell wood out of a trailer. I got 2 "arm loads" for $2 each. The amount of wood I bought would have cost me $20 in other MT SPs.

The "wide-spot-in-the-road" town of Seeley Lake is a "Mill town" and about 15min away should you need supplies at the gas station/Ace Hardware.

Now for the pictures:

[​IMG]

The Rules of the CG:

[​IMG]

Most of MT is bear country, this area is no exception, so you must take all the precautions. The $225 fine is collected if you don't. There are no bear boxes unfortunately, so you have to keep it in the cab of your vehicle if you leave the site and for the night.

[​IMG]

The Campsite:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time for dishwashing:

[​IMG]

Lolo NF is a Larch Pine forest:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The approach and RV parking spots are all paved with small concrete pillars to prevent driving off pavement:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Small ground squirrels and deer are common to see and are quite brave, feeding them is highly discouraged:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seeley Lake:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The approach to the boat launch:

[​IMG]

The swimming area:

[​IMG]

Speaks for itself I would say:

[​IMG]

At night everyone keeps to the quiet hours for the most part. The forest absorbs a lot of the sounds you would hear at other CGs. There was only 1 "street light" at the flush bathroom and it was barely noticeable, just enough light so you could see where it was. Other than that, it was pitch black without the fire or lantern. There were so many stars in the sky, it was difficult to make out the constellations without a star map. Sorry, no pictures of that. I know....DANG.

Even though this is a popular CG and it was almost full, it didn't feel like it. That is until you go swimming or out on your boat. Usually when I go to a CG I feel like I'm being watched or on display, but not at this CG. It was very relaxing.

[​IMG]

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Nice CG!
    ...not often that you see a lady with a purse in camp... [:D]

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Looks nice! I'll have to make a note of it for the next time I pass through the area.