Long term advice for 2 month road trip from the UK

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JASR, Jul 9, 2018.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    When/if you do rent an RV, ask if it comes with cookware, plates fork, etc. I'm not really sure if they do or not.

2. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Have you given any thought to purchasing a used rv for the time you are here and then selling it when you leave. maybe have to sell on consignment but it may work out a bit less expensively. My cousin did just that when he and his wife came over for 6 months from Germany. He bought a VW Westfalia in Chicago and drove it to Alaska and back. Luckily my father was able to sell it after and forward the proceeds. This was years ago the VW westfalia is now more a collectors item.

3. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    I'd second this opinion. I used to travel a lot for work and would often be in a different town every night. If the locals did not suggest a place only then did I fall back to the chains.

4. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Back in 2009 when we went to Acadia we ran into a British couple who purchased a Class "C" motorhome and came here once a year for about 2-3 months and toured the country. They stored it at a storage rental place with everything they would need to camp. I believe they stored it in Maine somewhere. At that time they have been doing that for about 5-6 years, maybe longer. Not sure how they registered it or got insurance for it. But I'm sure there is a way to do it. Each time they came here to the "States" as they would say they headed for a different part of the country. We spoke with them for at least a half an hour and they loved coming here because they could not really tour England like they do here. Lots of open road!!

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    If you want those diners, etc., stay off the main interstates. Look for historic highways when planning your route. It will be more like the old "route 66" travels.

As for campgrounds, you don't have to pick them now, but figure out what amenities you want. Do you want swimming pools and kids activities, etc., do you want full hookups (water, electric, sewer), or do you want just electric, or "dry camping" (no hookups). That will have a bearing on what RV you go with.

Federal forests and grasslands will have lots of campgrounds in a natural setting with few amenities. In the midwest and east, they may have electrical hookups. In the west, they will not.

State park campgrounds are very popular and will give you a good idea of the different landscapes for each state. A nice wide open grassy field, to a mountain stream, to an ocean beach, to a desert.

Federal and state parks are more likely to have hookups (either electrical only or full). They can be difficult to get reservations, so you have to start early. Especially campgrounds in Yellowstone, Yosemite, etc. So, if you want to stay in the actual park, check now for opening dates on reservations for your trip dates (www.recreation.gov and www.nps.gov and www.reserveamerica.com - if you want campgrounds for a specific area or state, post and folks will give you suggestions and links). Then start trying to get reservations from the moment the booking window opens. If it shows full, keep going in and trying - there will be cancellations and you might be on the website at the right moment.

The 26ft RV is a good size. Don't worry about driving it. It's not much different than any other vehicle until you want to back up. Backing up takes practice. One of the main differences is that you can't see out the back. So, cover your rear window with newspaper and practice backing up using your side mirrors. Have your spouse spot for you and get a system down now. It will be less formidable later.

Enjoy the slow speed of travel with an RV. That's one of the enjoyments - watching the changes as you move from the coast, to the Eastern mountains, to the prairies, to the desert, to the Western mountains, to the valley, to the coast.

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  6. kgesiako

kgesiako Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Chicagoland area
    One advantage of the rv rental sites is you can swap out your equipment. You said your kids were only joining in on part of the trip so you can start off with a smaller rv on the east coast to get used to handling it, then when you need to you can upgrade to the larger size and drop back down again when they’re gone. These rental places are usually in every state so shouldn’t be a problem swapping out.

7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    A wireless back up camera might be helpful too. Something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/4UCAM-Backup...8-4&keywords=wireless+bluetooth+backup+camera

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I am curious on how much it costs to rent an RV. I have looked a little and it seems very expensive. A place near me has small motor homes, class C, for $250 a night and only 150 miles per day. This would add up to a lot of money for two months. It would probably be cheaper to buy a used RV and then sell it or rent a car and stay in motels.

9. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    But if you compare that to hotel costs, it's not that much different. $100 per night x 2 rooms = $200 per day. Plus you have to eat out for lunch and dinner (assume breakfast is included with hotel). With the RV, you could do at least some meals "in" and lower that cost.

For one person, the cost is higher, but for a family, it's not that far off.

jnc likes this.
  10. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Thousand Oaks CA
    I was thinking the same thing...
    But then you add in mileage charges (if applicable) gas, campsite costs...

11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
  12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Pk if he Buys the MH than How does he register it when he dont live here?

Toedtoes likes this.
  13. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    In addition, the OP would need to deal with selling it at the end of the trip. There is no guarantee it will sell quickly, so how do you sell it when you're back across the pond.

14. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Thats the easy part ya just drop it off at a used camper dealer and they will sell it.

15. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    My sister bought a Sprinter Class B and toured the country and dropped hers off with an RV dealer to sell afterward. Took a year to sell so don't expect a quick turn around on re-sale to get your money back unless you get lucky.

Toedtoes likes this.
  16. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We priced a 24" Class "C" motor home for our upcoming trip (just to see what the cost was) This is from 84rv.com. For a week the cost was $1299.00 then $185 a day. You got 100 miles free a day. So for a 9 day trip we would get 900 miles free. So if our trip was about 3000 miles minus 900 miles then we pay for 2100 miles at $0.39 a mile. That's an additional $819. That a total of $2673.00 before tax and other fees.

Just looked and here are the other fees:
    Damage waiver is $22 a night
    Cleaning fee upon return is $85.00
    If you use the generator it's $3.00 an hour or $36 a day unlimited
    Cookware, plates, silverware is $225.00
    (Pots, pans, silverware and linens are not furnished, except when pre-purchasing our vacation or linen kits. The 115 piece Vacation Kit is new, out of the box, consisting of service for 4, pots/pans, knives, food storage containers, oven mitts, spatulas, coffee maker & much more.)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  17. JASR

JASR New Member

Jul 8, 2018
    UK
    Hi Steph, thanks for the long reply. I have little time to spare to trawl through TV programmes, sadly, but the info all adds up. thanks

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  18. JASR

JASR New Member

Jul 8, 2018
    UK
    Yeah it will have to, in our case, as it's not often people fly the Atlantic with a fullset of crockery.

19. JASR

JASR New Member

Jul 8, 2018
    UK
    Hi, to the many people who've said about buying:

I think I'd be hard pressed to pin hopes on buying something I can't tangibly look at - and I don't think I could handle the hassle/stress of it either. Especially the thought of arriving and having no backup (ie a rental company). It's meant to be a relaxing sabbatical :)

There could be chance a US friend could buy one on our behalf, but they'd obviously have to invest the time and energy in looking at etc. But it might be a possibility on the western US.

Mrs JASR has been looking at this thread and it's spurred her on to look around the US a bit on where to go and the how.

Thanks for the replies regarding RV sizes and other info:

Current thought processing is we (Mrs + I) arrive on East coast and see/do a few things there in a small RV or just a rental car+camp/AirBnB, then either drive/fly to middle (ish) US and go from there. There's plenty of stuff we've been looking up around Middle->West that we'd like to visit/stay in. We've also been plugging more friends into the map and getting more familiar with the geography of wehere things/people are. So we are more leaning to get the kids over on the Western seaboard or central west.

I'll have to eMail the various RV hire places people have suggested, and I think when we do have an RV it will be a class C, <26ft - and I'll have to enquire about 6 seats/seatbelts.

As I mentioned in the OP this is a longterm slowly evolving trip, but I thank everyone for their contributions so far :)

20. JASR

JASR New Member

Jul 8, 2018
    UK
    Cheers for the long reply, good info, and it's all been digested by Mrs JASR.