Looking for feedback on pop up listed for sale

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by covsting76, Jan 4, 2019.

1. covsting76

covsting76 New Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Hello,

Newbie here... never owned a pop up but been keeping my eye open. One came up that seems like a good deal. Just wanted to get some feedback on the model and anything specifically i should keep an eye out for when looking at it.

Interesting part is it is listed as a 1999 Viking 2685 but from my research this model did not have slide outs until 2001. Maybe they have the year wrong?

Please let me know what feedback you have!

Thanks everyone!

Here are the details:

1999 Viking pop-up camper very clean sleeps 6 with a slide out has indoor outdoor stove top, awning, fridge, furnace, shower and toilet asking $1500 obo also has cover.

Attached Files:

• v1.jpg
      v1.jpg
      File size:
      42.9 KB
      Views:
    • v1.jpg
      v1.jpg
      File size:
      42.9 KB
      Views:
    • v2.jpg
      v2.jpg
      File size:
      50.8 KB
      Views:
    • v3.jpg
      v3.jpg
      File size:
      42 KB
      Views:
    • v4.jpg
      v4.jpg
      File size:
      50.8 KB
      Views:
    • v5.jpg
      v5.jpg
      File size:
      42.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Well it is differently worth looking at.

3. covsting76

covsting76 New Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Price wise though does it seem like a good deal?

4. YellowCityGuy

YellowCityGuy New Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Yellow City
    I don't know where this is, but around where I live this would've sold in less than a day at that price. Much worse condition PUPs selling for double that around here.

eoleson1 likes this.
  5. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Price wise, a great deal. Sounds like it’s worth checking out. Water intrusion is the great nemesis with RV’s so do a thorough inspection while popped up.

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

Unfortunately, "a good deal" really cannot be determined with pictures and description alone. You will really have to see the camper in person to determine that. There are a lot of issues that can be hidden in the pictures.

If there are no hidden issues (wood rot, water damage, lift system and cable issues, etc.) then it sounds like a very good deal. I think it would be worth a look. Saying "No" to a bad pup is more important than saying "Yes" to a good one.

Start HERE if you want some details on what to look for before you decide to go take a look at it.

Good luck! I hope this pup is the one for you!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  7. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

The pics suggest it's pretty clean. Definitely check it out if possible. Have the owner walk you through folding and opening it up. If it goes smoothly, you know the lift mechanism (lots of moving parts) is good. Take video… if there's no manuals, pretty likely with a camper that old, you'll want the reminder the first few times out.

If possible, test all the propane-powered stuff (furnace, stovetop, fridge, hot water). If they have it plugged in, you should be able to test all the electrical stuff. Personally, if the internal electrics are flaky, I'd buy it anyway and fix what was needed. (You want the taillights and brakes, if equipped, to work out of the box for obvious reasons.)

Walk all over the floor, and push a foot into each corner. If you feel soft spots, you know you'll need to replace some flooring. Look all over the canvas for tears or holes. If the canvas on the bunk ends bungee to the plywood, look for torn grommets and "dead" bungees. If you have kids, you want that to WORK so they don't fall out.

Only you can decide what amount of fix-up you're comfortable with. But if it just needs a few tweaks around the edges, $1500 sounds like a pretty good deal.

One last suggestion: if the seller tells you "I sent it to an eBay dealer in (some not-local place)," it's a scam. RUN.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    That camper would be snatched in two seconds if it is as good as the pictures suggest. However I discovered how easily pictures could be altered to hide problems. Like everyone else mentioned have them run through the lift system with you there. Climb under the camper and check the floor from underneath. Look in all the nooks and crannies and feel that floor. Check for any possible water damage. Make note of anything wrong and determine if you are willing to work through those faults. If they give you a hard time it could mean they are hiding something. I would litterly bring a checklist and flashlight with you as well. Don’t hesitate to say no if something doesn’t look or feel right. Try and prevent yourself and family looking at the camper with rose color glasses as that almost never goes well the second your home. Good luck.

9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I don't like the floor plan. It looks like there is nowhere to sit except the dinette. Too much counter space and no couch. If it is just two people then it would be okay. We have five people and there would be no place to sit.

10. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    Here is the ideal floor plan Rollover couch and one 40 inch cabinet Double it up with foldable dresser E5D8664F-9399-47F9-816E-921E52D500F9.jpeg E0D65CCA-2DBB-4677-955A-48CB539465D4.jpeg