Lost our Alpha dog today

Discussion in 'Best Wishes/Remembrances for Loved Ones & Friends' started by Orchid, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

She would have been 15 next month. Has had a bit of a time with her rear legs off and on for a couple of years, but did okay with meds. For a couple of days, she had been acting "off" so I have not spent much time on here.

Last night, she suffered a stroke. Lost control of body and bowels, and her head was hanging to the side. We knew it was the end, but spent the night loving on her and took her to the vet today. She went very peacefully. We will always love and miss her. She is half Newfoundland/German Shepherd and was past her life expectancy.

[​IMG]

2. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Oct 9, 2015
    So sorry for your loss, Orchid. Take care. Sounds like it happened pretty quick. When my wife and I lose a dog, we wait until the kids go to bed then split a bottle of wine (and maybe 2), telling stories of all the fun times they selflessly and lovingly gave us.

3. kreeves

kreeves She and her two dogs

Dec 4, 2016
    West Virginia
    So sorry for your loss, I know the heart break you are going through. Hugs to you.. [:(]

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Sorry for your loss, Orchid. I know what your going through right now as I lost mine back in September. Keep strong!

5. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Central, IL
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your best friend. Take care and cherish all of the memories! Had some great camping times with my old friend and think about her every time we go camping.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk

6. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    So sorry to hear about your loss, it is so hard to lose a pet since they are very much a family member. We had a Golden Lab retriever cross that took us for walks and Oh did he love water.....just not out of a hose. We got him from the SPCA when was 7 months and passed away when he was 13 yrs from cancer. He would jump in a lake, ditches, rivers but try to wash him with a hose and you would think we were killing him...son tried to give him a bath and when my son tried to rinse him with the shower wand,
    He took off out of the washroom jumped on the couch and tucked his head in behind my wife....he also liked tangling with skunks...I can only laugh about it now..take care and remember all good days cherish your memories

7. Orchid

Thank you to everyone for the condolences. It's so very hard. This particular dog had been born into my hands, prematurely. Mama dog rejected the entire littler of 11, I was able to save 3 by bottle feeding around the clock. The rest were still born, or passed right after. I named them (all girls) Faith, Hope, and Charity. The other two went to good homes. Faithie has been my special girl for what seems like forever.

She was peaceful and happy on the way to the vet, although she couldn't moved. She knew she never cried, struggled, or even got worried. We all said our goodbyes and she went peacefully to sleep.

This is just like all of our dogs. They go play in the lake on our property, come home drenched. Try to bathe them and you would think water was torture. [:O]

I'm not much of a drinker, but I've taken more than my fair share of Xanax today. Actually, more than several people's fair share of Xanax. Going to knock myself out, with Ambien, in a few. I can't talk about all the good times yet. To be honest, I'm such a sissy that I can't talk about our dog that we lost 4 years ago, without crying.

If I was to recount all the wonders of both my four legged loves, it would be a full length biography. They were amazing lives put here just for our family.

Good night everyone and thanks for your understanding. Only one who has loved and been loved by a dog can really understand.

8. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Orchid.... sorry for your loss. It's amazing how we can love our pets so much and feel so much pain when they pass. I had to have my childhood dog put down almost 40 years ago... to this day I can't tell the story without tearing up. My condolences to you all.

9. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    . . .no one loves you more than your dog. . . .

10. myride

myride Member

May 14, 2015
    My thoughts go out to you and anyone else that has felt this loss. When my last "best friend" passed someone forwarded this to me, I hope it raises your spirits even a little bit.

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth...
    though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

11. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    myride... That was really touching, thank you.

12. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Jul 3, 2008
    Iowa
    We feel your loss. We have been between dogs for more than two years now. That will change this spring. We are ready for a new dog in our lives again.

13. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Durham, NC
    Raising my glass for Faith tonight.

14. Orchid

Thank you all for the condolences.

Faithie has been right by my side for almost 1/3 of my life, and I'm a grandmother. That's a long time. There is a void, but I believe she is in heaven.

Although the Bible doesn't directly say that animals go to heaven, it certainly has many passages describing heaven, with animals there.

I know all of you that have lost your beloved, four legged friends understand completely.

[​IMG]