Lost Prairie

Discussion in 'Oregon' started by Unstable_Tripod, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    This Willamette NF (Sweet Home Ranger District) campground is in the central Oregon Cascades on US20, seven miles west of where OR126 leaves US20 and turns south (or, 37 miles east of Sweethome). It is operated by Linn Country. It has ten sites, eight of which are tent only. These are walk-in sites (where you park in a lot and carry your equipment down a path to the actual campsite). There is only one site (#1) with pad sufficient to handle a trailer and TV. It was paved and perfectly level. The CG is located along Hackleman Creek at 3,300 feet of elevation in an area of fir, spruce and Douglas fir. Nearby are the trailheads for Cone Peak Trail, Iron Mountain Trail and Hackleman Old Growth Grove. We loved the old growth area.

Each site has a table and fire ring. Two vault toilets are present, one that is positioned primarily for sites 1 and 2 and the other for the rest of the sites. Trash receptacles are at each toilet. There is a hand pump for water. The fee is $15 but I paid $7.50 with my Senior Access pass. The CG is open from late May to late October and usage is medium. The CG is FCFS but, and this is a twist I haven't seen before, the whole place can be reserved as a group camp for $125 per night.

The two non-tent sites are separated from the tent sites so, if no one is in #2, it seems like you have the whole forest to yourself. There was a solo guy in a truck camper in #2 the first night and we invited him to our campfire. It was a pleasant and interesting conversation. No one took #2 the second night. We loved the quiet and privacy.

Here are a couple of views of our campsite at Lost Prairie.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]