Loud Clunk When Lifting Roof

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Garrity, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Garrity

Garrity Member

Lately when lifting my roof, I am hearing 2 loud clunks when doing so. After some research here, I found some folks that had a similar issue/sound. It seems the spool(not sure if this is the actual term) on the front of the camper is keeping the lift cable all on the left (driver) side of it. It then gets to the top and is forced over to the base of the spool, making the loud noise. I don't see a way to adjust mine though, that other threads mentioned. Any ideas? Could this cause damage to my lift system? Goshen lift system on a 2005 Starcraft 3606.

Thanks,

Patrick

2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Mine does that as well. I took the cover off the winch and watched it. It’s the cable slipping as it winds and readjusting itself. If you can get a look at your spool check it out.

Grousetales and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

It's pretty common. Mine does the same every time I raise the roof and I never get used to it. It always makes me raise an eyebrow.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Garrity

Garrity Member

My feelings exactly.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Mine did it every time I raised it at crank 27. Everyone counts the number of cranks, right? I'm not the only crazy one?

Garrity likes this.
  6. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Most popup lift systems are essentially a winch where a main cable wraps around a drum. Once the first layer is complete the second layer starts to wrap, atop the first layer, but sometimes the cable catches the edge of an adjacent wrap and slips, thus causing this clunking noise. The Coleman / Fleetwood lift system doesn't suffer this issue because there is no cable wrapping - instead the wiffle tree to which four separate lift cables are attached travels along a threaded drive screw.

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

According to a tech at the local Jayco dealer, that's supposed to happen. I didn't ask why. [:)C]

8. Garrity

Garrity Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. This puts me a bit more at ease knowing it is fairly common.

9. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Member

Yep...I have the same "clunk/snap" sound every time I raise my top. The only problem with it that I have found is that the wrap actually changes the draw length of the cable. Which in turn might not let the top go all the way up. The winch will hit the upper limit switch and the top will stop about 3 inches from the full up position. On mine it is easy to adjust the switch. I just lay down on my back under the tongue, that's where my winch is mounted, and reach up and adjust the switch. After I had a new lift cable installed I had to make the adjustment several times due to new cable stretching.