LOUD screeching when going up and down

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by mewall, Sep 22, 2013.

1. mewall

mewall New Member

Sep 16, 2012
    My husband cranked the camper down with the door still up . Now when we crank up or down there is a loud screeching. We have a 99 coleman taos and replaced the wiffle tree 6 months ago.

Now what did we screw up?

2. mewall

mewall New Member

Sep 16, 2012
    The cables are fine, as far as we can tell. It gets about 3 feet up then starts to bind and makes a LOUD screech. The sound is definitely coming from the crank area.

We replaced the entire wiffel tree and crank system last year with this:
    http://www.canvasreplacements.com/product_info.php/cPath/20_205/products_id/5863

We have re-lubed everything and it did not help.

It is stiff going up and down and getting worse every time.

HELP

3. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    I would be looking for areas where the cable is rubbing. Perhaps at some bend. Follow each cable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Aug 27, 2010
    My crank has DOOR written on it, on all 4 sides [8D]

5. mewall

mewall New Member

Sep 16, 2012
    The binding noise is coming from the box were the ratchet system used to be. Since we replaced the wiffletree with the higher thread count one there is nothing in there but washers and a bearing.

Would a bad bearing do this? Does anyone have a picture of the replacement wiffletree in place, maybe we did something wrong?

6. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

Mar 25, 2013
    mewall, Txbum here...when I bought my 1993 Coleman Destiny...the first camp out the PUP screeched when poping the unit up. I immediately stopped and used a spray lube on the threads where the crank handle threads into the wiffle tree . The screeching subsided. A month later I said what the heck...I am going to re-pack the wiffle tree... I am glad I did. The wiffle tree grease was packed , dried out at both ends of the wiffle tree screw. There was dirt, dust bunnies, the bottom of the wiffle tree cover ( inside facing bottom of trailer) had these two end to end wear marks, no grease was there. With the wiffle tree cover removed I used the crank to see how the wiffle screw works. Be careful doing this, (the cover is a load bearing point ) the wiffle tree will turn and rest against the inside cover of the wiffel tree as it slides one direction and then pivot and slide aginst the the other interior side of the wiffle tree cover as the screw is moved in the other direction. DO NOT lift the pop up trailer with out the WIFFLE TREE COVER!!! I was just verifying the wear points on the cover. I cleaned everything, the Wiffle tree cover exterior , interior, the screw, removed all old grease and re- greased everything. I placed extra gease along the wear points of the wiffle tree interior cover.This helped make the pop up easier to lift and no screeching sounds anymore......Note....if you try to lift the pop up without the wiffle tree you can see where the wiffle tree will strike and lift the floor !!......Richard ......hope this helps... [PUC] [PU]