Maine Rally - Hemlock Grove Campground - August 7-9, 2015

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by Davylee, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

May 4, 2009
    Maine
    The dump station was not promulgated. And as far as the porta potty ask the owner where you are allowed to dump it would be the safest bet. I was wondering what the pop ups did with the grey water, figured it was the dump station (which is functional) or the outdoor wash sink.

2. Davylee

May 4, 2009
    Maine
    I am really glad everyone had a good time in a great area to do things. The 2016 Rally will be posted shortly, 2016 prices and discount may change but the dates are 5-7 August and reservations can be made mid September when we know the pricing. See everyone in 2016 at the Maine Rally !!!!

3. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Aug 20, 2007
    Western MA
    The owner said that anyone not on a sewer site cannot dump black without paying. And contradictory to the rule of nobody being able to use the dump station at all, he said that people can dump their gray at the dump station, when I asked where people would dispose of their gray water on their water/electric sites.

He seemed to acknowledge to me that while it isn't typical to us (we camp 15-20 trips a year), it's typical for them (Hemlock grove).

it is what it is... It was a great weekend, and if we go there again, we will book a sewer site

4. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Wow, I'm really glad I coincidentally got a full hookup site. I would have been screwed if I was not allowed to dump.

5. ripopuptwins

ripopuptwins It's All Good

Sep 27, 2011
    Pawtucket, RI
    That was awesome!
    Will be back next year (with mushrooms)
    I dumped my gray in the dishes sink. The whole dump station thing is silly in my opinion. If this is the policy, why isn't it posted anywhere? I think the (owner) was
    A little peeved that someone on a W/E (that got a discount) used the dump station.
    Sorry to sound cynical but that's what I do

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

6. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    While in Maine , I was able to purchase my son the 'official toy of the PopUpPortal Maine pop up rally'.... a Matchbox Jeep Cherokee with pop up camper. And, yes... it pops up ! :)

[​IMG]

7. Davylee

May 4, 2009
    Maine
    Nice!!

8. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    That's awesome!

9. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Aug 22, 2014
    WOW. I never heard of a campground charging resident campers extra to use a dump station. I get the saving money on a W/E site but the amount dumped by a W/E user is so much less than a sewer site user. That to me is not a very good way to run a business. They are in the hospitality business and charging a resident camper to dump is just foolish.

Btw. What was the charge amount? And did they stand over you to see what you were dumping? I use a blue tote to capture both my gray and black. How do they know what you are dumping? Was the dump station next to the office? Below the window?

What a stupid charge.

Vin.

10. Davylee

May 4, 2009
    Maine
    Okay, the camper that dumped was not charged to dump, it was a hybrid and had a black and gray tanks. And yes , some campgrounds do charge to dump if you are on a E/W site, the purpose is to get you to get a full hookup site. As it was the E/W sites at this campground are not really large enough for Hybrid camp units. The only issue, and it was acknowledged by the owner, is that it doesn't say anywhere if there is a charge for the dump station and who could or could not use it. I'm sure that will change with the feedback provided (he reads this forum and thread).
    This minor thing is detracting from the fact that this campground had nicely spaced , treed sites with amenities not found in other campgrounds for the same price. A full hook up site this year was $42 with the discount and included wifi and cable, the E/W site was about $36 for E/W and Wifi. I have not found any campground in Southern Maine that can compare to that. It was a well run campground, quiet, no rowdy crowds, and even the seasonals were friendly to the transient campers. And the owners bent over backwards to make sure the Popupportal group attending were cared for including free use of the recreation hall and setting up tables for us..

11. Ductape

Jun 12, 2013

I've got t back this up. The CG was immaculate and VERY fairly priced, even without factoring in the discount for Portal members. For the sake of comparison, price a site at the next campground south ($75 / night ), where you are packed in like sardines with hardly a tree anywhere on the grounds. I'd return to Hemlock Grove anytime (and will recommend them to my friends).

12. AngryScientist

AngryScientist New Member

Apr 30, 2015
    Even though the owners and I had a disagreement over the feasibility of how early my kids woke up, the campground was immaculate, as was the facilities.

However, it seems the revenue model is death-by-fees, for example the BW dump fee and even the showers cost 25¢ per 10 minutes.

The quality of the WiFi was marginal, I instead relied on Verizon's 4Glte network, which required no validation, and did not have a transparent proxy in-between me and the world logging and restricting my actions.

13. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I have been to many campgrounds that charge for showers. I have to say that even though I understand the reasoning behind it, this is the first time I have heard of charging to dump. Those items should not deter anyone from considering this campground. It was nicely kept, quiet, very shaded, and priced cheaper than others in the area. The owners are great people, and very helpful. I would definitely stay there again.

14. Ductape

Jun 12, 2013

I suppose its all in what you are used to. We regularly camp in the White Mountain National Forest (2 weeks per year) where the pay showers are $2.50 for 6 minutes. I thought the 25 cent /10 minute showers there were an absolute bargain. I get more annoyed by the 8% sales tax tacked on to everything.... since I'm used to paying zero sales tax. [LOL]

15. AngryScientist

AngryScientist New Member

Apr 30, 2015
    I'm spoiled in NYS! Those extra high taxes pay for the DNR campground showers!

16. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Aug 22, 2014
    I guess I equate the dump station to a bathroom.

The owner stated the dump station was required. I take it be some government organization (local or state). How he feels about it is unknown.

Restaurants are also required to have bathrooms. Usually by some government organization (local or state). How the restaurants feel about this is unknown.

I would not be too happy if I was enjoying a dinner with my family and then needed to use the restroom and had to pay. I guess the restaurant has that right to charge for it, but I just feel it is in bad taste. I understand nothing is free. Should they charge for toilet paper? Water to wash your hands? Soap? I think they can. It just does not seem right. Sorry.

This owner has the right to charge for it. To me, it just would not sit right. JMHO.

Vin.

17. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    I agree with everyone else that this campground is absolutely immaculate, well run and very reasonably priced. However, I have also never seen a campground either not allow you to use the dump station or try to charge you for using the dump station when you have paid to stay there.
    I did have to find a place to dump recently when I was at a campground without a dump station, one place did charge the equivalent of a night's stay. I ended up using a SP for $20.
    For what it's worth tho, Hemlock Grove does list a dump station as one of it's amenities. No disclaimers.

18. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Aug 20, 2007
    Western MA
    I too agree it was an immaculately kept place, and the dump station issue is not something to detract from staying there. Now I/we know, and can plan accordingly (book a sewer site if you need it). Maybe they will update their site accordingly.

19. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    That will not detract me either.

20. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Don't forget they have curb side trash pick up & even give you the first 2 bags! We will return to Hemlock Grove.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.