Material Type? Roof & Box cover repai

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by TonyD, Jun 13, 2017.

1. TonyD

TonyD New Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Michigan
    Hello,

I recently purchased a 2003 Flagstaff Classic 620 pop up and am currently doing some repair work on it before taking her out. The roof has hair line cracks all around and I want to fix this before leaks start.

1) I was wondering if someone could identify the material used on top of the roof?

2) Any recommendation for a repair method, I was looking at coatings.

Thank you in advanced!

IMG_7643.JPG IMG_7642.JPG IMG_7641.JPG

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  2. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    I have a 2007 Flagstaff popup that I bought in 2015. The roof had a substantial ripple in it when I purchased it.
    I have recently purchased an Aliner and am going to sell the popup. Although it hasn't leaked, I am going to replace the 'skin', so I can sell it with a clear conscience.
    I have peeled off the skin, and the roof below is in great shape. I have researched into EPDM, but have had difficulty finding it in small lengths. I recently learned about 'Peel and Seal' from an RV repair tech. It is self-adhesive. I can recover my roof with 1 roll (36" x 33'). This would be applied in three pieces--one on either side, and the third down the middle.
    Here is a link to the product website:
    http://www.mfmbp.com/productView.aspx?id=1

3. TonyD

TonyD New Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Michigan
    Thanks for the info, I am un-certain what the material is for mine. are you saying mine is EPDM? The tiny pits and recesses have almost a sparkle to them making me think its Fiberglass.

4. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    No, mine is identical to yours, but
    my RV tech could not confirm that it is fiberglass. I was originally considering using EPDM, because it has been recommended on this forum.
    Peel and Seal video showing application on a house:

I have not found a video showing a trailer or RV application. Of course, I cannot guarantee that this product will be effective on a trailer...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  5. TonyD

TonyD New Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Michigan
    I thought EPDM roofing is a rubber material, typically that comes in rolls. I used to install it on flat commercial roof and connect the seal with a heat roller.

My roof is much more harder than a rubber membrane.

Has anyone used this coating before? They make some specifically for RV's. https://www.koolseal.com/products/

6. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

Aug 4, 2009
    SE US
    I think what you have is FRP. Mine had become separated from the wood underneath but is still sealed.

7. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    That looks like Filon, a fiberglass material. If the only cracks you have are like the hairline ones you show in the picture, I would not coat it with any elastomeric coating. I would scrub it with TSP, coat it with a sealer like Sealkrete... It is as thin as water, UV stable and will seal and make that roof look like new. 2 coats minimum...

Adam

8. Steelsun

Steelsun "We aim to misbehave"

Aug 14, 2015
    Did you ever do this? How's it working so far?

My top has cracked and delaminated and I'm tempted to try it also.

9. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    That looks a lot like mine which is Fiberglass vacuum-bonded material. Or so I was told by Forest River.

10. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    I've been too busy with other committents and camping in my Aliner--tonight is my 35th night since May 19th! I have another 15 NTS booked 3 rallbetween now and mid-October, so I really don't see myself getting time to work on it until the fall.

11. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Oops! Sorry, duplicate post.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  12. ericgregoire

ericgregoire Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Hi.

I've been shopping for this material this week. The material is FRP. Crane makes some and also Graham. It's normally available in 9' wide roll and sold by the foot. Here, in Canada, it’s 65$/foot at a RV repair shop, not installed.

13. ericgregoire

ericgregoire Member

Jul 10, 2012
    That's a great option! Where can we buy that in Canada?

14. ericgregoire

ericgregoire Member

Jul 10, 2012
  15. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    I know a fellow near Beaverton ON who does RV repairs. The last time I spoke with him, he had a roll 36" x 33.5ft. I don't know his sources. I believe that he quoted me $325 CDN. One roll will do my trailer: two strips on either side and one overlapping down the middle.
    I looked at that, but I liked the textured finish of the Peel & Seal.

I'm camping in the US at the moment, but I will contact him when air return. Will keep you posted. Where are you located?

16. ericgregoire

ericgregoire Member

Jul 10, 2012
    I’m in the Ottawa area.

17. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    I'll check with him anyway. Perhaps his source has something avail closer to you.

18. ericgregoire

ericgregoire Member

Jul 10, 2012
    I've been doing some research and found that article from Roberts Sales. I wonder about Gator Guard (it's available in white) or a similar product.

Line-x is looks great.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  19. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    I think that both of these products would work if your roof is in good shape and you just needed add a sprayed-on epoxy to stop leaks. However, the roof material on my roof is too rippled to do that. The skin needs to be removed and replaced, so a membrane is needed.

20. ericgregoire

ericgregoire Member

Jul 10, 2012
    For Line-x, you still need to remove the membrane and put new wood, you can't just apply it to FRP anyway. I just called a supplier here, he was going to charge me 200$ per linear foot, for white Linex. WTH?!