Mattress question

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by BJS1785, Feb 15, 2017.

1. BJS1785

BJS1785 New Member

Feb 6, 2017
    So I've read that you don't want a vapor barrier between the bunk plywood and mattress so it can breath.

My Mattresses were soft side down, vinyl side up when I got it I was assuming id flip it when camping, but is that a problem for moisture? Photo shows vinyl side up reverse side is all soft maroon mattress

Attached Files:

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontaio
    We used an old heavy wool blanket between the mattress (yinyl side down) and the bunk when we had the pup.. Now with the TT we use a reflectix type material under the mattress on the rear slideout bed with no ill effect..

3. world traveler

world traveler Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Mine is vinyl side down, I don't see a point to flip it up at all. I don't have a moisture problem.

4. BJS1785

BJS1785 New Member

Feb 6, 2017
    Thanks, ill flip mine over. Seemed weird to me.

5. TRR

TRR Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Alabama USA
    Vinyl side up is good if you're a bed-wetter (or have a kid who is).

Sent from my LG-V940n using Tapatalk

jmkay1 likes this.
  6. Dragonfli032

Dragonfli032 Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Reno, NV
    So I take it you can put a layer of something between the mattress and plywood? Does it help with the cold or is it pointless?

7. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Member

Aug 9, 2011
    North Dakota
    I don't know where we got the very this felt type material that we put over the plywood but we only did that to guard against wood slivers. And we substituted air beds for the original foam mattress that did not have much support

8. cannotbackup

cannotbackup Member

Jun 24, 2016
    we just got kids foam play mats and are sticking it under the mattress - vinyl side down - to soften things up. 2 inch memory foam on top of mattress makes it even more comfortable. You got a tent trailer to be comfortable - why not make the bed super comfortable!

Dragonfli032 likes this.
  9. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Our new one came with an insulating "blanket" under both mattresses. The side facing up looks like the metal foil they put on space vehicles. The mattresses were soft on both sides. We add 3" of memory foam on top of the mattresses and it is VERY comfy. :)

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    On my old jayco popup I had the vinyl side up for the little one and if the dog was to try and bring the outdoors in. My new to me camper didn't have a vinyl side so now i just keep both mattresses covered in a mattress protector. Doesnt provide any warmth or comfort, but sure is easier to clean vrs the matress. Then again when you add kids and dogs to the mix you have to think practical vrs cosmetic. No problems with build up of mosture as if yet.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Active Member

Jun 5, 2014
    I use 5/8" thick roll up camping ground mats. I notice the difference, my wife doesn't care. She wants egg crate foam for the top. So I'll be getting some of that too.