McCormick's Creek SP, Spencer, Indiana

Discussion in 'Indiana' started by RocketScientist, Jun 11, 2017.

1. RocketScientist

RocketScientist New Member

Oct 28, 2015
    Hi all!

We just got back from our first camp of the year, also first time at McCormick's Creek State Park, the oldest state park in Indiana. What a lovely place! I was really taken aback at how wooded the campground is. We had no less than a dozen large trees on our lot alone which was very nice and made things more private and shady. We did a Tues-Fri trip and it was so quiet and peaceful! We got out just in time for the weekend crowd to start filling the place up, but even with a lot of people there it was still very private which I'm all for.

The park itself is VERY well cared for. The bathrooms are so clean with minimal bugs which I had do to a double take, and the sites themselves are also well kept. Not sure why, but there was hay all over the place on the ground on almost every site. If somebody knows why, please say something because I've never seen that before. It made nice fire tinder anyway! Activities for the kids are decent. There are playgrounds, a very nice pool, nature center, and what I consider the crown jewel of the place, Great hiking trails! There is a lot of interesting history to find along the trails including waterfalls, and an old quarry that was mined before it became a nature preserve.

All around, I highly recommend this park. It has everything we like to do, it's quiet, close to town if you need supplies, and overall one of the most beautiful and well cared for places I've visited in Indiana thus far.

Happy Camping and be safe!
    -RS

2. Dread_Pirate_Bailey

Dread_Pirate_Bailey Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Indiana
    That's one of my favorite places! Even if I can't get out to camp, I head over there to hike

3. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    My home town. It's been years since I have visited that park.

4. Dread_Pirate_Bailey

Sep 14, 2008
    Indiana
    Ellettsville, Spencer, or Bloomington?

5. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    Spencer

6. Dread_Pirate_Bailey

Sep 14, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm just south in Lawrence County

7. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Many parks will put down or sell straw bales if the ground is mostly dirt after a heavy rain to control mud. Haven't seen hay used for this though. It does help more than you'd think.

8. Daisy on my toe

Daisy on my toe Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Chicago area
    We just got back from there and had such a good time. I loved how wooded the campground was and there were hardly any mosquitoes. The only thing I did not like was that even though there were trees in between all the campsites we were very close to our neighbors behind us. Also, our fire circle and those of the campsites around us were situated in the back of the campsite so that when we were a out at our fires we were pretty close to one another. Most of the campsites weren't like this though- next time I will pick a different loop to avoid this.