Memorial Day Travel Suggestions - WI to IA and Back

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by jaynine89, May 13, 2019.

1. jaynine89

jaynine89 Member

Hello!

We're two weeks away from what we're planning to be our first trip of the year for Memorial Day weekend. We live in La Crosse, WI and know we want to be in Ida Grove, IA on Saturday and Sunday nights to see family, returning Sunday afternoon/evening. Without going too far out of the way or being too expensive, can anyone recommend any campgrounds between here and there for Thursday and Friday nights? We've like WI State Parks in the past, but realize 95% of this trip will be west of the Mississippi. We've never done a KOA and I kind of prefer not to...

I've considered Wyalusing State Park in Prairie du Chien, and Spook Cave in Monona, IA, but I've been to both of those before, and I'd kind of like to mix it up. We originally planned Mud Lake or Swiss Valley near Dubuque, IA, but now we don't have as much of an incentive to go to Dubuque as did a few weeks ago, and I've been to each of those before as well.

The trip will consist of me, my wife, and our 1 1/2 year old daughter. I'd like to have some cheap activities to do along the way or near where we stay, and some I thought were interesting were the Field of Dreams movie site in Dyersville, IA and the Effigy Mounds in Marquette, IA, but neither of those are necessarily set in stone.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Jayson

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

No good suggestions, but if I lived in LaCrosse, I would have a hard time leaving!! Such a great area! Also, fwiw, grew up camping in an '84 Starflyer!

3. JWeible

JWeible Member

Maquoketa Caves State Park if you can get a site. They only have about 18 of them and half of them are FCFS.

4. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Effigy mounds is cool, lots of walking though. Field of dreams is awesome. Always a ball game running in the summer. LO may not be into that, though since you either play or sit and watch. She may be too young.

5. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

If you have enough time and are interested in going that far south, the Amana Colonies are fantastic. We went there on our honeymoon.